DIY/poor man's floating diptube for clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I mean did floating ball and tube decrease already carbonated beer. Like a spoon shake in glass of beer? Or not cause such problems if i don't shake/move keg in kegerator.

Edit: Glas of beer is open and there is no counter pressure,keg is under presure so no issues ?
Exactly.

Like a spoon shake in glass of beer?

In short, not really

While a moving item inside the beer volume will physically knock CO2 from solution faster than a non-disturbed system, the closed cool keg system will maintain solution of CO2 based on temp and pressure even with the small motions of things inside the keg. The float/tube/filter assembly doesn't move around that much, certainly not like stirring with a spoon.

Hey guys I have modified my Mk1 design to Mk2. Its simpler and can work with or without a filter. I prefer without as I run the filter in the primary and rack into serving kegs. The cost is lower as now you only need two washers and two undersized oetiker clamps to hold the float in place.

I want to try a smaller float to see if it still works. The cost comes down more...

I have posted here:
http://think.gusius.com/diy-keg-floating-dip-tube-mk2/

The V2 looks great! I have a bunch of V1s that work very well, but I'm going to try swapping them out. I do a bunch of funky batches, but also big clean batches that I like to keg condition, so not having the plastic filter as a potential source of contamination will be great for me.

Could you swap out the oetiker clamps with silicone grommets? Looks like a lot of nooks and crannies for stuff to hide in those oetiker clamps.

The oetikers are not permanent, they are snug fit on the tube, you can completely dismantle the float for cleaning...
I do however have some feedback that the hose needs to be bigger....as covered in this thread... 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD is optimum
7mm ID and 10mm OD will suffice.

Could you swap out the oetiker clamps with silicone grommets? Looks like a lot of nooks and crannies for stuff to hide in those oetiker clamps.

fdtmk3-7.jpg fdtmk3-3.jpg fdtmk3-2.jpg fdtmk3-8.jpg

Guys Im excited! I built and tested Mk3 last night. It is SOOOO simple and works unbelievably well. No more clamps, washers bolts etc...just a float, diptube and some wire...
http://think.gusius.com/diy-keg-floating-dip-tube-mk3/
Looks great!. I do like the added insurance of a filter on the tube though.. I use this setup for dry hopping loose.

Do you dry hop with large amounts? When you get to the bottom doesnt it suck up a bunch of hop debris?

Looks great!. I do like the added insurance of a filter on the tube though.. I use this setup for dry hopping loose.

Do you dry hop with large amounts? When you get to the bottom doesnt it suck up a bunch of hop debris?

I dont see why you cant integrate the filter into this mk3? basically drill a hole in the end of the filter and thread the wire through...

I dont see why you cant integrate the filter into this mk3? basically drill a hole in the end of the filter and thread the wire through...
Wouldnt it be easer to replace the diptube at the end of the line with the filter? And fold the wire the same way around it?

What is the total cost of this to make one to three units? I'm trying to see if it is better to make them or buy them.

I have the first version MK1 not MK3. I think it cost me about $7 each. You can get the parts on AliExpress and for MK3 I'd guess it will cost about $5 each per floating dip tube. Gusiness has links for the parts on his/her website. Only drawback is can take a few weeks to get parts from AliExpress.

I have the first version MK1 not MK3. I think it cost me about $7 each. You can get the parts on AliExpress and for MK3 I'd guess it will cost about $5 each per floating dip tube. Gusiness has links for the parts on his/her website. Only drawback is can take a few weeks to get parts from AliExpress.
Does that include shipping? I couldn't seem to come up with that cost. I was getting something closer to $12 with shipping and for that I may as well buy them from somewhere like this: https://www.ballandkeg.com/balls-up-floating-dip-tube.php

One problem I've encountered is foaming in the keg, causing the intake to be above liquid level or right at it, so I get waaaay too much foam in the pour. This happened when I took a properly carbonated Pale Ale to an event and served through a jockey box. The beer in the keg warmed up and the serving pressure was lower than the carbonation pressure (which at room temp would have been pretty high), so foam happened.
I think this could be addressed by adding weight to the intake. Will try that and see how it goes.

Does that include shipping? I couldn't seem to come up with that cost. I was getting something closer to $12 with shipping and for that I may as well buy them from somewhere like this: https://www.ballandkeg.com/balls-up-floating-dip-tube.php

Yeah your right. I must have had some supplies already sitting around the house when I built mine. I just priced it out at $9. Sorry for the misinformation.

US $1.23 | stainless steel 304 welding wire mig tig welding rods 1.0mm 1.2mm 1.6mm 2.0mm 2.5mm 3.2mm 4.0mm
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/nE1cwO4g

US $1.21 6%OFF | 2pc/lot Dip Tube for Corny Keg - Gas In Stainless Steel 304 Comes with O-ring
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/nsBHttdm

US $0.60 33%OFF | 1 Meter Food Grade Transparent Silicone Tube Soft Rubber Hose 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10mm Out Diameter Flexible Milk Hose Beer Pipe
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/kEvolYTQ

US $1.89 18%OFF | MK-51*61*15 Stainless Steel Ball Float Magnetic Floating Level Switch Small Accessories Water Flow Sensor China
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qLOMgcZ2

Last edited:
Here is what I did with the Ball type float. The stock setup does not work well because the tubing is forced to point upward as it hangs below the ball. I added a SS Tee and then used wire to keep it a certain distance down from the ball. This keeps the open ends a good bit away from the surface.

One positive I have noticed with this setup is in the process of keg purging. If you set the length of the tubing correctly, one end of the Tee will fall down into the depression at the bottom of the keg. This helps get all of the sanitizer out when pushing with CO2.

Hope this helps!

T Float.jpg

Here is what I did with the Ball type float. The stock setup does not work well because the tubing is forced to point upward as it hangs below the ball. I added a SS Tee and then used wire to keep it a certain distance down from the ball. This keeps the open ends a good bit away from the surface.

One positive I have noticed with this setup is in the process of keg purging. If you set the length of the tubing correctly, one end of the Tee will fall down into the depression at the bottom of the keg. This helps get all of the sanitizer out when pushing with CO2.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 650435
Nice- do you have a link for the round float?

I looked at the parts on ebay, thanks @Bigdaddyale. Too bad the lead time is a bit out there, but if you have a number of kegs (I have 10) then it might be worth the wait for a half price solution.

While looking at the ebay parts they suggested to me a topedo keg ready made version for about $18, if you are in hurry it ships from the US.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torpedo-Keg-Buoy-Floating-Dip-Tube-Clear-Beer-From-Top-of-Corny-Keg-Stainless/283643349314?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160323102634&meid=9b1c1f76a21b4ff791966b9fef25e6a0&pid=100623&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=111960932272&itm=283643349314&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

I looked at the parts on ebay, thanks @Bigdaddyale. Too bad the lead time is a bit out there, but if you have a number of kegs (I have 10) then it might be worth the wait for a half price solution.

While looking at the ebay parts they suggested to me a topedo keg ready made version for about $18, if you are in hurry it ships from the US.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torpedo-Keg-Buoy-Floating-Dip-Tube-Clear-Beer-From-Top-of-Corny-Keg-Stainless/283643349314?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160323102634&meid=9b1c1f76a21b4ff791966b9fef25e6a0&pid=100623&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=111960932272&itm=283643349314&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
The parts listed on eBay become cheaper the more you buy. I was thinking of making a bulk purchase and set up a little workshop with my brew club. The delivery time is a problem if you're in a hurry. Might be a fun little project to do around Christmas time

You can get them here as well, I recently picked them up for three of my kegs and they are fine. https://www.ballandkeg.com/balls-up-floating-dip-tube.php

I just got the parts in to build the MK2 version, but after fussing around with the clamps, I dumped them and used instead standard dip tube washers to keep the metal washers from sliding off.​

View attachment 650435

Brilliant! That should solve my foaming problem too.
If one end of the tee is in the well and the other is above liquid level, does it still push the liquid out? Maybe an elbow would work even better. Experimentation time...

Just transferred a dry hopped batch with the Ball float that can be bought online. I lost about 1.5 liter of beer cause it sucked up some hop debris and got clogged.

The DIY keg float in this thread with filter has always worked great for me. Gonna keep this one. I would say the MK1 or MK2 build is the better version. MK1 works great for me as it keeps the filter nice and close to the surface of the beer, so more beer transferred.

I have modified the MK3 version and bend the stainless around the filter. Not the beginning part where the silicon is stuck into cause it won't stick there.. But wrapping it around the whole filter seems to do the trick. It is however a bit lower below the water level this way.

Just transferred a dry hopped batch with the Ball float that can be bought online. I lost about 1.5 liter of beer cause it sucked up some hop debris and got clogged.

The DIY keg float in this thread with filter has always worked great for me. Gonna keep this one. I would say the MK1 or MK2 build is the better version. MK1 works great for me as it keeps the filter nice and close to the surface of the beer, so more beer transferred.

I have modified the MK3 version and bend the stainless around the filter. Not the beginning part where the silicon is stuck into cause it won't stick there.. But wrapping it around the whole filter seems to do the trick. It is however a bit lower below the water level this way.

picture?

Brilliant! That should solve my foaming problem too.
If one end of the tee is in the well and the other is above liquid level, does it still push the liquid out? Maybe an elbow would work even better. Experimentation time...
This is tough to know. If the Tee is in the well, most if not all of the beer is gone anyway. It pushes the sanitizer out but it gets foamy due to the CO2 being drawn from the high side of the Tee. But is still comes out. If you used an elbow, the trick would be to get the thing to always point downward or it won't fall in the well. With the Tee you have two shots at it falling into the well!

Yeah, one side tee above liquid, one below, pressurize keg, you'll get gas not liquid because it's easier to push the gas and the system will always favor the least effort. Like pre-limited-slip-differential cars.

Does anyone experience off flavors after using the same tubing for a while?
I started noticing something off and the flavor got worse in consequent batches. My tubes are pretty stained and smell like hops..

Does anyone experience off flavors after using the same tubing for a while?
I started noticing something off and the flavor got worse in consequent batches. My tubes are pretty stained and smell like hops..

Can you put more adjectives into "off"? Grassy? Kumkwat? Resinous? Roadkill? Dank?

I am using the same ferm-keg-w-dip-tube for the same hoppy pale ale. The tube is really getting quite the hop patina. I run homemade pbw via MK2 keg washer after use, including through the dip tube, and I'm not getting anything "off".

Can you put more adjectives into "off"? Grassy? Kumkwat? Resinous? Roadkill? Dank?

I am using the same ferm-keg-w-dip-tube for the same hoppy pale ale. The tube is really getting quite the hop patina. I run homemade pbw via MK2 keg washer after use, including through the dip tube, and I'm not getting anything "off".
Hard to say, its a green sharp lingering bitterness. Smells piney medicinal.
I boiled some of the lines in water and let it cool and it smelled tasted exactly like the off flavor but a bit less strong.

I put the tubes out in a room and the smell was so strong I could smell it in the room.
I also clean with pbw, I would say it is at least 12 batches in and same problem on 4 different kegs.

Back