DIY mash tun thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonB

Reaction score
This question would probably be answered somehow here if I looked hard enough, but I'm just going to ask it anyway. o_O
So, bought myself a 10 gal igloo cooler and a domed false bottom set up for Christmas this year so i can get closer to all grain. As I live in SW Michigan and brew outside my patio is under 3 feet of snow, so I have time for some suggestions to come in. I have found a wireless cooking thermometer at a local store for a good price and am thinking about a permanent install in this new mash tun. The probe is 7 5/8" long and the common diameter on all the dial type thermometers. Looking for suggestions for location, and installation. Would putting it in all the way work or get in the way when cleaning? The wireless works up to 100' so it would be nice to keep track of the temp from the house. For under $20 seems like a deal. Thanks all!

20140224_175029.jpg

I'm thinking of installing through the side wall rather than through the lid so thats why im asking for input.

My guess is it won't last. I had a cheap cable thermometer I hung over the side of my brew pot. Probably only lasted 3 brews. I'd suggest putting in a proven brewing thermometer. It's not like the temps are going to plummet and you'd be able to watch it from the comfort of your heated house.

Back