DIY Hop Filter Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold break is evil. Any screen is going to choke on it but then the whole point of this screen is to prefilter wort for external chillers. I wouldn't worry about cold break getting into the fermenter.

how much better does this work than the Chore Boy that I use as a filter? I just did a batch last weekend with 4 oz of pellets and the Chore Boy filtered almost everything out. I run a 100% gravity system through a plate chiller.

The Chore Boy was caked with hops when i was done.

7 oz of pellet hops and 1 oz of leaf hops combined with IC cold break just might tax this screen to the limit. ;)

However, with a sanitized mash paddle and a lot of care I was able to extract all but a couple of quarts of usable wort. I figured I would have issues so I adjusted my recipe to account for a boil of 12.5 gals to still leave me with at least 10 gals of wort after boil-off and what I figured to leave behind in the kettle.

Thanks Bobby, good idea and excellent video!

Bobby is this your preferred method of dip tube / screen you are currently using on your bk

I am still trying to figure out what method I want to go with for my BK.

I have yet to build anything, but i do have 12" of 1/2" soft copper and a 1/2" brass compression fitting.

I only want to build some one once and be done with it, but I have read and seen several option that are a couple years old and wonder if people are still using them or have upgraded to some thing better.

-=Jason=-

When I had a plate chiller, I wouldn't use it without a filter like this. I've since swapped over to an immersion chiller just to play around with it and I have since sold the hop filter since it's not critical to filter in that case. I'm still on the fence about going back to a plate chiller but if I do, I'd build something very similar only with a more flat profile similar to the real deal hopstopper.

How about a ss strainer? Cut the handle off, drill a hole for the tube and add a clamp to hold it down with the tube. You could always add mesh to the bottom if hops were sneaking around the base.

You mean a common kitchen bowl style strainer? I guess I just never seen one with a fine enough mesh. If I had to guess, the mesh size is commonly about 12 x 12 or 12 holes per inch. It would be dandy for whole hops. The trick would be making a hole that doesn't completely unravel, perhaps by trying to reweave the cut ends back into the mesh.

Back