DIY element guard on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mannelito

Reaction score
I'm looking into building my own element guard but I'm a bit uncertain about how good of an idea it is. The option I'm considering is taking a 2" TC end cap (red), drill a hole in it and then go for a regular 1" NPT heating element (teal), fixed with a locknut (grey).

Seeing as this is a commonly used method for attaching heating elements to kettles, I thought this might work too. Any yay or nay-sayers out there?

6fwme0.jpg

/Manne

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. I also see you said cheap, in my experience triclover fittings don't fit that description.

I now realize that things in my head are not as obvious to others as they are to me, sorry about that.
On the kettle there will be a welded 2" TC ferrule, so you put this end-cap thing on with a gasket in between, slap a clamp on it and hopefully it doesn't leak.

Something similar to this, the pot is absent.

zip2ww.jpg

A friend of mine got some welding equipment, so making an element guard on my own would prove a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made one. However, if it doesn't work, then it would be pointless and a waste of time.

Honestly, it's a solved problem for $30 you can get a nicely made weldless enclosure including stainless locknut from brew hardware. I'm super happy with mine:
http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93/176-elementparts

I did the DIY weldless before this on a different pot, and I'm way happier with this enclosure.

You are probably right. I'm thinking it'll be easier, better and mostly of all safer to buy one. Still, I'm curious to know if this idea works.

Should work as for connecting it to your kettle, although it does not seems to help you guard the electrical end of your element though.

Why not just use a TC x 1" NPT adaptor? That is what you are accomplising in your OP (maybe a little longer using the adapter).
Plus your design still needs to include an enclosure around the element terminals. Realisitcally you are not going to be able to make it all for much less (if any) than $30

Why not just use a TC x 1" NPT adaptor? That is what you are accomplising in your OP (maybe a little longer using the adapter).
Plus your design still needs to include an enclosure around the element terminals. Realisitcally you are not going to be able to make it all for much less (if any) than $30

You're right, however, after freight+import taxes, it gets expensive. The one prefab option I'm seriously considering is from Stilldragon.EU. 3 units+shipping is USD$200. It's a sturdy unit, so I guess the price is right.

I use the brewhardware.com option. It comes with either a 2" or 1.5" triclover option. And it can't be beat for the price. It'll probably cost around 200 for 3 with shipping to the eu. Plus u get great customer service from bobby.

One thing to consider, a 2" triclover cap is pretty thick. Once you put a gasket on the element there may not be much room for a nut. Better to get a cap with threads cut into it.

I really like my StillDragon element adapters.

The only problem with them is the gland / strain relief they come with won't work with 10/3 wire. I bought the SS gland in that pic there and had to ream out the hole to get the new gland to fit. Not a big deal, but I think this was a design flaw in them.

The Brewhardware enclosure looks fine too. I bought the stilldragon because a friend of mine was buying at the same time and I just added to his order.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400843081.151204.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400843136.412497.jpg

These are the only pictures I have of brewhardware element enclosures. I'll try to get one of it all hooked up when I get back to the shop later.

You could also TIG weld or silver solder the nut to the outside of the tri clamp end cap.

I'm all for DIY in most cases but this is a situation where going the easy route is likely less expensive , less time consuming, and will generally work better. The Brewhardware element housing is well put together, and much better than most (not all) of the DIY versions I've seen on here.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401212931.655442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back