DIY dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laouboy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking of an idea to make a easier diy dip tube rather then welding copper or using a compression fitting. My idea is that i can use a 1/2 i/d barb and attach it inside of my brew kettle to the ball valve with about 4 inches of thermoplastic tubing which is able to get 275 degrees. After i attach the tubing to the barb ill clamp it with stainless steel clamps(where ever I can find it any ideas anyone?) to make sure it is in tact and not going anywhere. What do you guys think of that? Should it be food safe if this tubing is inside the kettle?

You may have issues with the SS hose clamps. Many people who used them in MLT's found that they aren't very "stainless" and will start to corrode quickly in an acidic (wort) environment. The common solution is plastic zip ties, but I don't know if I'd trust those at boiling temps. As long as the hose is food grade and rated for boiling temps it should work. You'll just want to find a good way to secure the hose to the barb.

Oetiker clamps FTW

I'll be using those when I get my cam locks and Silicone tubing

-=Jason=-

Oetiker clamps FTW

I'll be using those when I get my cam locks and Silicone tubing

-=Jason=-

+1 I just switched to the Oetiker clamps. They are relatively inexpensive from McMaster-Carr.

I bought this tool in lieu of the official Oetiker pliers and it works perfectly:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pliers/10-inch-heavy-duty-end-nipper-38496.html

I thought that I might need to dull the cutting edges on the nippers, but that has proved to be unnecessary. It's so nice not to rip up knuckles and fingers on the worm drive clamps. I know, they are not re-usable, but they are cheap enough that I don't worry about it at all. It is important to select the correct size on the clamps though, so keep that in mind. I like the double crimp clamps, but the no pinch type are even better IMO.

Some hose clamps are just stainless bands, but most of the ones I've seen at home depot lately are marked as ALL Stainless, and I have had no problem with them.

Some hose clamps are just stainless bands, but most of the ones I've seen at home depot lately are marked as ALL Stainless, and I have had no problem with them.

The ones I had issues with were from Home Depot and marked "all stainless". They worked great for a few batches, but around the fifth batch I noticed some corrosion when I was cleaning out the spent grain. I then read a thread somewhere on here about the same issue, and switched to using the zip ties.

Also, if using the oetiker clamps, the areas where the pliers touch the clamp will need to be re-passivated after installing if you want them to stay stainless inside of a vessel. Not really a concern if used outside the vessels.

Back