DIY cast iron pipe draft tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to do this soon. What is the best place to get the black steel fittings from ?

Also for the shanks what size is that 2" long and 7/8'' diameter, is that correct ?

I am planing to use a 12" nipple and to flanges to secure it on the top and at the bottom (the two flanges would act as a clamp)

Also I plan to use a cross fitting instead of the tee so I can have 3 taps. Insulation and keeping the beer code in a 3 foot long line would be a challenge too but I am sure I can figure some things out.

I ordered all of mine from supply house dot com. Fast shipping and great customer service.

The big box stores stock most of the black pipe, but it’s all made in China and has obnoxiously large “CHINA” imprints on them. Supply House has a made in USA section for the fittings... (anal of me, I know, but for some reason the CHINA markings bothered me)

I ordered all of mine from supply house dot com. Fast shipping and great customer service.

The big box stores stock most of the black pipe, but it’s all made in China and has obnoxiously large “CHINA” imprints on them. Supply House has a made in USA section for the fittings... (anal of me, I know, but for some reason the CHINA markings bothered me)

That's a great source. Thank you!
Say I am trying to figure the reducer from 2" to 7/8" to be able to connect the shank. I tried under reducer/bushing couldn't find it. Does it have a different name ?

Much appreciated again!

Honestly, I can’t recall what size I used. I ended up ordering several sizes and returned what didn’t work (so I can’t tell from my invoices what I used).

I will say that I ended up just using a bushing slightly smaller than the tap, and I used a step drill to make it the correct size.

3/4 would be smaller than 7/8, so that makes sense! Now I have to find a step bit/tap that same threading with the 7/8 shank! Do you recall the length of the shanks you ordered ?

Did you use a step bit to enlarge it or use a tap to create the threading ?

I’m pretty sure they’re 2 1/8” shanks from Amazon.

I didn’t thread it. I just bought a cheap 7/8” step bit and drilled through. The shank I used worked very nicely this way!

I've received my hardware I wanted 3 taps. Need some time to accomodate with the look and height. I will lower the base nipple. Also considering adding a tap in the middle of the cross fitting as I don't like how toll it gets. Thoughts ?

Attachments

• IMG_20180919_084907011.jpg
    IMG_20180919_084907011.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 67
Back