DIY Belgian Candi Syrup Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost_Arkitekt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I followed the dude on YouTube (Tim White) who used wort, pickling lime (slaked lime), and sugar. I followed his instructions, but the syrup got to a point where it became foamy (not the bubbles from boiling), and then when it cooled down, it never became clear...has a cloudy appearance. Any suggestions?

Yeah...I stirred and didn't add any extra water, so it had that "peanut brittle" texture. Once I thinned it out, it looks/tastes great. I think I need to bring to 230 to make it consistently 20% water.

Will try that other method next time.

Yeah...I stirred and didn't add any extra water, so it had that "peanut brittle" texture. Once I thinned it out, it looks/tastes great. I think I need to bring to 230 to make it consistently 20% water.

Will try that other method next time.

The highest temperature (and the time it remains there) sets the flavor and color profile. Yes, you can only achieve those higher temps when the water content goes down. By adding small amounts of water during the caramelization (boil/simmer) process you prevent the temps from rising too high and changing the characteristics. Extended simmers create complexity and add depth to the syrup.

Once you have the color and flavor you desire, you can add more water to keep it fluid/syrupy, or let it be to solidify or become a thick viscous syrup. You could slowly evaporate the extra water left at lower temps, so the profile won't change (much), while it becomes chewier or even settles out hard.

The peanut brittle texture is from the sugars partially crystallizing out around nuclei in the syrup while cooling. Perhaps from allowing the crystals that formed along the side, back into the syrup after scraping, without letting them re-dissolve completely.

IslandLizard...great reply! My issues are many fold. When I was dissolving the sugar, it seemed as though my granules switched to air bubbles...so it took a long time to dissolve, IMO. I used starter wort with hot break in it (instead of water), and it never got "clear" until it got close to boiling. Also, I think I tried to do too much at a time...the bubbles got so high that they almost came out of the pot, so I had to stir a bunch. Next time, I'll just dissolve the sugar, place on medium heat and let boil without touching it. The peanut brittle texture was definitely from scraping the sides. I figured it dissolved, but I guess not.

Also, when I transferred to another pot and tried to bring up to 230 (to rid it of water), the area around the rim where Boiling bubbles started coming up brought back the foam that I skimmed off (what seemed like the contaminants from Tim White's video). It is really thin, so what temp would you suggest cooking at to evaporate water out without getting the bubbles/foam?

What are you going to use this syrup for? How does it taste?
Texture is insignificant if you're using it in beer. It all dissolves, and whatever break is left, will either float or sink.

If you put it in the boil or add to a fermentor, it can be runny, as long as it has the flavor and color you want. It's actually preferred to have it well pourable and warm, it dissolves faster too that way.

For long term, unrefrigerated storage the moisture content should be very low, less than 5-10%, IIRC, or mold may form over time. I've stored syrups in the fridge or freezer for years.

Working the syrup at the "wrong" time can turn it into fudge-like consistency. If you've ever made fudge, the hard part is to know, while it's cooling down, at what exact point to start beating the heck out of it.

Excessive foaming means there's still a lot of water left (of course, it's thin), and you're heating it too fast. Just let it simmer slowly and it will evaporate, slowly. Turn the hood fan on for faster evaporation, or aim a fan over the pot. The trick is to keep the temp consistent. If you add more heat than the pot loses, the temps will go up, so find the balance where it stays put.

The first batch I made turned into one acrid dark brown mess from heating a little too and high too quickly, it had started to pyrolyze (burn). I learned that making sugar syrups takes time and patience, a watchful eye and some experience, recognizing tell tales of the process.

You can easily make D-1 (clear), D-5, or D-45 like syrups. D-90 is a lot harder, but doable, although you will end up with a different tasting product, not necessarily worse, it can be very yummy. Anything higher is about impossible. The factories uses special equipment and processes to prevent acrid flavors from developing. Perhaps under reduced pressure and in an oxygen free environment.

Last edited:
Yeah...IslandLizard, I made a bunch of mistakes on this one. I've learned. It must have "burnt" because it now smells and tastes like molasses. I boiled it down to a thick syrup now...very little water content. It definitely doesn't taste like Beglian Candi Syrup, but I'm thinking it has to be different (molecularly) than molasses because the sugar was broken down by boiling it at 260*F for 30 minutes. I'd like to use it in beer (stout, porter, RIS, etc.), but don't know how to manipulate it in BeerSmith? Should I just use molasses in the program?

Next time I'm going to buy a pot specifically for this and do smaller amounts at a time.

Latest posts

Back