Distilling Setup Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt99

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was recommended this forum from a member on AR15.com. Sorry, no TL;DR for this. My uncle owns a large Vinegar plant. His family historically made rum, but this was over a generation before him and he knows nothing about it. Anyway, he decided to get into alcohol as well. He uses Ethanol to make the Vinegar, so his initial idea was to create Ethanol to supply his plant. Unfortunately, even with a large investment into distillery equipment, it is just not feasible to supply 30,000 gallons a day of Ethanol.

After completing my doctorate, I only work three days a week and have found myself bored. I have several organic chemistry courses behind my belt, so I understand some of the basics but have no experience in brewing. He essentially ferments alcohol, albeit into vinegar rather than Rum. I have agreed to help him get back into the Rum business if possible. He is too busy with expansion and the largest bump in orders he has ever received to get into the Rum project by himself. As I mentioned, he already has quite a bit invested in an industrial brewery setup, 1000 gallons. The set also came with a smaller 15gal tabletop microbrewery. Unfortunately, it draws too much amperage to be used at my house.

I'm looking for a smaller tabletop distilling setup that I could play around with and learn the basics before we move to the 15gal setup (almost 30min drive to get there). Do you have any recommendations? This will essentially be a throw away set since I will be using the 15gal in a few months. Also, the company he bought the kit from includes a week-long course in Colorado which I'll be attending at some point before scaling up.

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum and I appreciate your help!

These units work well, but are a lot of time and labor for a small amount of alcohol. You might also want a fractionating column like this one, in addition to an alembic dome + condenser. By judicious use of both, you can extract close to 100% of the alcohol in your wash. You get more flavor from the wash using a pot/dome, but at lower proof. A column gives you higher proof, but purer and less flavorful product. If you learn to blend, you can make pretty much anything.

You are not likely to get much assistance with industrial scale stills on this web site.

Brew on :mug:

Back