Disappointing results with 1 micron filter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewin2

Reaction score
I just got a filter system from Homrewstuff.com. At $45 it was a reasonable price http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet/the-165/Home-brew-beer-filter/Detail

I first filtered my beer with a 5 micron filter. The filter caught most of the yeast but after pouring the filtered beer there was still some yeast on the sides of the glass.

Then I said dammit I want this beer clear so I found a 1 micron filter and tried again. This time the results were marginally better, no yeast stuck to the glass but still opaque.

The wort was transparent so the beer can be transparent right?
Any ideas?

Damn that sucks all that work and not getting the results you wanted. I never filter any of my beers but have been thinking about it.

Same experience here: I bought a filter to get a beer clear before the normal time needed to clear naturally. I did it for a HB contest...

NEVER again. Total waste of time. From now on, no rushing beers: they will tell you when they are ready by coming out of the keg clear. I will ALWAYS make enough beer early enough and not drink it if I want it clear.

OOOOOh, that sounds preachy...

Maybe a step back and looking at your process is in order. If your beer has stuff in it to the point that it's sticking to the sides of the glass (even after filtering) there's a whole lot more going on.

Maybe a step back and looking at your process is in order. If your beer has stuff in it to the point that it's sticking to the sides of the glass (even after filtering) there's a whole lot more going on.

this is what I did.

Took corny of uncarbonated beer
connected up the filter housing between the two cornys
pushed it at 1 psi

It's probably proteins from chill haze. I don't think a 1 micron filter will clear that.

chill haze? please explain

and a 5 micron filter should be sufficient to filter any yeast in suspension right?

A 1 Micron filter will filter out "MOST ALL" the yeast. You cant expect the filter to create a bright beer, you still need the the beer to settle a little. A filter will help make your beer brighter faster. But its not going to come out of the filter bright.
Just a heads up.
Cheers
Jay

chill haze? please explain

There are some proteins that will precipitate only when the beer is chilled. This will cause your beer to look cloudy when it's cold. The solution is to get a really good and fast cold break. How do you chill and how long does it take?

You could also try to cold filter your beer.

There are some proteins that will precipitate only when the beer is chilled. This will cause your beer to look cloudy when it's cold. The solution is to get a really good and fast cold break. How do you chill and how long does it take?

You could also try to cold filter your beer.

Well you see the thing is me and my buddy (also 20) used one of those "wort in a bag" lol.

The first time we filtered with the 5 micron the beer was at room temperature and uncarbonated. The second time through the 1 micron the beer was carbonated and cold.

After primary fermentation and a few more weeks I would cold crash (drop the temp to just above freezing) for a few days, rack it into another container like a keg and ... wait...
Very few homebrewers filter their beer yet they end up with very clear results. It sounds like you are new to brewing, so I must ask, how long has this beer been fermenting and aging before you tried to filter it?

After primary fermentation and a few more weeks I would cold crash (drop the temp to just above freezing) for a few days, rack it into another container like a keg and ... wait...
Very few homebrewers filter their beer yet they end up with very clear results. It sounds like you are new to brewing, so I must ask, how long has this beer been fermenting and aging before you tried to filter it?

around 3 weeks in the fermenter

and a 5 micron filter should be sufficient to filter any yeast in suspension right?

No, a 0.5 micron filter or even a 0.3 micron is necessary to remove all yeast. A 5 micron filter will only remove the hulls, hop particles and clumped yeast.

Hmm, I was thinking about some sort of filtration for my beer. It settles and clears beautifully with time, but I want to get a mobile draft setup together, plus anytime I bump my keezer, my beer's full of crud and leftover hop sediment for a couple of days.

Hmm, I was thinking about some sort of filtration for my beer. It settles and clears beautifully with time, but I want to get a mobile draft setup together, plus anytime I bump my keezer, my beer's full of crud and leftover hop sediment for a couple of days.

Instead of filtering, cold crash for a few days and then rack the beer off the sediment to another container while it is still cold.

Instead of filtering, cold crash for a few days and then rack the beer off the sediment to another container while it is still cold.
I'll give that a shot. Generally I'll primary for 3 weeks, secondary for 2, then keg. Drop the keg in the keezer, and wait a day or two before putting it on CO2. After it's carbed (I let it sit at 12psi for 10 days, usually) I'll dump the first two pints - but still getting sediment kicked up anytime the keg is moved. I swear to god, that stuff's persistent.

ubermick
Transfer that cleared, crashed beer to another keg after that first couple pints. You'll leave that yeast behind.

+1 on gelatin. I use it on all of my beers now. They come out crystal clear. I do two small additions a few days apart. Eventually they settle to the bottom of the bottles, if swept up in bottling, or kegging and don't rise up too much.

I am drinking I beer, Altbeir, now that I forewent the gelatin and its cloudy

From now on always gelatin.

m.

I actually don't mind chill haze. I mean, it's nice to serve crystal clear brew to guests, but a hazy beer doesn't bother me. When it's got noticeable floaties in it though...

hmm found this subject bit late i order 1micron filter, i read on net yeast size is about 5~10microns
so there cant be more yeast with 1 micron!

and i read bunch of articles said filtering with 1 micron actually can take away bunch of aroma particles in wine/beer so its kinda cool.

still i love bright so when i got it and test i let you know how was it in my experience.

Latest posts

Back