Disabling the temp alarm on a Danby Freezer model DCFM108A1WDD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help. Bought this freezer from Costco months ago and has been sitting in the garage waiting for me to pull the pin and start on the keezer build. I framed up the base and bolted the wheels on today and just discovered this thing has a temperature alarm if the temp rises above -10C.

Does anyone know how I can disable this before I continue on with the build? Can't seem to find anything online and of course being boxing day and a Saturday, nobody is available @ Danby for customer support.

Cheers,
Mike

Checked the user's manual for that unit, and here's the pertinent paragraph:

" High Temperature Alarm If the temperature inside the appliance rises above -10°C (14°F), an alarm will sound and the display panel will show the code “FU”. If the “FU” code appears, please call consumer service for assistance. "

And that is freakin' hilarious! :D

Anyway...documentation for that unit is nonexistent, but no doubt the beeper is on the control panel pcb, which should be readily accessible behind a bezel. One could permanently disable the beeper by removing it...

Cheers!

Checked the user's manual for that unit, and here's the pertinent paragraph:

" High Temperature Alarm If the temperature inside the appliance rises above -10°C (14°F), an alarm will sound and the display panel will show the code “FU”. If the “FU” code appears, please call consumer service for assistance. "

And that is freakin' hilarious! :D

Anyway...documentation for that unit is nonexistent, but no doubt the beeper is on the control panel pcb, which should be readily accessible behind a bezel. One could permanently disable the beeper by removing it...

Cheers!
Yeah read that error code in the manual and had a chuckle lol. Did a quick look and only the compressor access panel appears to be removable. Planning on poking around for some kind of speaker today.
I was hoping for a solution that didn't require cutting a wire as naturally I'll cut the wrong one :0

UPDATE!!! Opened up the compressor compartment to see if I can find a speaker. That was a fail. Wack-o-wires running into a control panel cover which I couldn't remove because I don't have little raccoon hands and since there was no bomb countdown procedure, I wasn't about to guess if it was the blue or red wire   . So...........after a short bit of head scratching I decided to plug in the inkbird and run it to 2.5C and it worked fine and turned the freezer off at that point. Verdict - I think the alarm is really a non issue since the freezer is always in initial start up mode to get it to freezing temps thus it cannot "rise" to -10C 🧐. Not an expert by any means but this makes sense to me so time for a homebrew and watch Canada beat Slovakia in World Juniors!!! - Cheers folks!

Back