Dirty glassware at the bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
So I know I'm a F@(x1n& beer snob and thanks to you F@(xers I can't help it. I try most of the time atleast to not show it but here we are. I'm sitting at a bar and was just served a glass of beer that has bubbles through out the entire side of the glass and I can't help but think that's not a clean glass. I'm sure it's most likely soap but....

Would you return the beer?

Keep drinking, but you might ask them about it. Maybe they simply didn't know there was a problem.

Of course I'm assuming you were at a CRAFT beer bar, and not some redneck dive. If you were at a redneck dive, you only have yourself to blame.

If it was draft, then their lines probably aren't set good. The old overfill, knife trick.

I don't have a problem asking for clean. It is a minimum expectation. I've been served coffee with a dirty inside the glass. I caught it before they poured. I asked for a new coffee when they brought it with the sugar bowl stacked on top. I'm pretty sure those bowls don't get washed.

Went to a nice restaurant last night. Nothing on tap, and expensive 330ml mass-market stuff in the bottle. I bet they don't even know that it's a problem.

NZ may be unusual in that craft beer at the booze shop is quite expensive and macro lager is quite cheap. But at an establishment you pay about the same for nice craft beer and bad macro beer.

I've been a long supporter of the don't fear the foam Mantra (but I have seen a sheen on the surface of my wort that I didn't like and it was from the foam, but that is a whole other topic).

I've always just assumed that the issue is left behind soap and I can't say I've tasted any soap character but **** in my glass just bothers me.

https://www.craftbeer.com/brewers_banter/the-importance-of-beer-clean-glassware

I've asked for a new beer when I've seen chuncks of dried on food on the inside (probably just poured the same beer into a new glass). If it's just bubbles it's likely the 50 billion scratches inside from stacking glasses at a furious pace.

Back