dirty fermenter? or just discoloration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1988

Reaction score
OK guys when i brewed my last beer i cleaned my ferment er you know got all gunk out but there was this one black spec at the bottom i could not get out then near the rim there a spot of discoloration (pink in color) i used 1oz of star San for 5 gallons let react 1 minuet now its 3 days into my brew no airlock activity. i started fermentation at around 80 degrees( maybe little over) it went crazy spewed gunk out air lock bubbling like crazy now its down to 73 degrees nothing. Has there been a contamination or infection? also being at 80 degrees maybe a little over have i ruined the flavor of my wheat beer?

Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to begin. If you eventually fermented at 80 degrees (very high for most yeast strains) you may have had a very fast fermentation. Let it sit for a few more days and then take a gravity reading. If you have hit your target gravity, you are good. Posting a picture of what you think might be an infection would greatly help the community to aide your decision. Lastly, fermenting at 80 degrees for a wheat beer doesn't necessarily 'ruin' the flavor - as flavor is relative to the drinker. That will be up to you to decide only after the brew has finished fermenting and has been bottled and conditioned for three weeks. Each yeast strain has a specific guideline to its proper fermentation temperature, and deviating outside of that can cause off-flavors, but it's not a reason to panic, especially in your first couple of brews. You will live and learn. Whatever you do, don't dump your beer.

the kit said as long as it isn't over 90 degrees pitch yeast. I'm just worried it might be stuck.

You have posted this problem (different wording) in a couple of threads.... Stick with one and you'll get clear answers 😒

Back