dirty air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
Any tips on keeping good sanitation with lots of pet hair in the air? We have 2 cats and a dog and i am concerned about pet dander contaminating my wort during boil/cooling/bottleing

Make sure you use a no rinse Sanitizer and keep all your post boil equipment wet. During bottling make sure you leave your bottling bucket covered.

reiffer75 said:
Any tips on keeping good sanitation with lots of pet hair in the air? We have 2 cats and a dog and i am concerned about pet dander contaminating my wort during boil/cooling/bottleing

Be sure you clean everything before brewing, during the boil not much an issue because you are boiling, during cooling just keep the pets away from the kettle, fermentation if sealed is not an issue and during bottling again, clean and sanitize right before and keep the pets away.

I have dogs and while I will find that stray hair I've never had any contamination problems:)

Yeah, and alot of us brew outside, so who knows what's flying around in the air out there. Besides the obvious cleaning tips, i'd say make sure you're cooling your wort as fast as you possibly can.

I have 2 cats and it hasn't been an issue yet (only 4 brews though), maybe just be extra sure you wash your hands after playing with them or whatnot during the downtimes on brew day.

I have a dog, cat, and 12 stray tortoises that likely carry samonella. Never had a problem. Keep everything covered and sprayed with starsan. I cover the kettle with foil while I chill. Most importantly.... turn off AC and fans, and close all windows when you are working with yeast or open vessels.....

Dip the cats and dog in Starsan. Keep them damp, if the Starsan dries they are no longer sanitized. ;)

Don't let your neighbors see you do it, they will call the ASPCA on you!:drunk:

I don't have pets, but the day prior I sweep and mop the floors, clean the kitchen, dust and wipe down all cabinets/surfaces, and run a couple hepa filters. The day of, I do everything again. Then when I am about to brew, I turn off the filters to keep air movement to a minimum.

...I am not joking. And if it wasn't for that, my wife wouldn't be as kosher with my brewing as she is, since I completely take over the kitchen for a couple hours.

I don't have pets, but the day prior I sweep and mop the floors, clean the kitchen, dust and wipe down all cabinets/surfaces, and run a couple hepa filters. The day of, I do everything again. Then when I am about to brew, I turn off the filters to keep air movement to a minimum.

...I am not joking. And if it wasn't for that, my wife wouldn't be as kosher with my brewing as she is, since I completely take over the kitchen for a couple hours.

Haha, I don't do it the day before, but I think my wife appreciates how clean I get the kitchen before & after brewing.

Well I do it the day before, that way it's way faster to clean the day of. I have a hard enough time cooking in a dirty kitchen, let alone brew beer.

In my opinion, get rid of all pets except fish. Get rid of wife too if problematic to beer.

But seriously.. I do spray my plants with a garlic oil solution to minimize the gnats before a major kitchen operations. (something in garlic is toxic to just about all insects and fungus).

Get rid of wife too if problematic to beer.

I did that WAY before I started brewing. I can safely say I would have never started brewing if I was still married to her! Being a bachelor is awesome! I brew when I want, and I do it in a dirty house! Take that, clean freaks! I like living on the edge! :rockin:

I did that WAY before I started brewing. I can safely say I would have never started brewing if I was still married to her! Being a bachelor is awesome! I brew when I want, and I do it in a dirty house! Take that, clean freaks! I like living on the edge! :rockin:

lol you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I just this day spoke at my wife the she should be happy about my new hobby because I leave the kitchen about 5 times as clean as before I went in there... she pretended to not have heard a thing (a trick she unfortunately learned from me).... oh well, oh well.. I do envy you good man.

And you can put some ridiculously huge speakers in your house without getting "talked to".:rockin:

This quote from iambeer is classic, epic... "I just this day spoke at my wife"

Man. You can drink from my keg any day!!!...Perhaps, one day, you to will become a member of the highly esteemed. Kicked My Swmbo To The Curb Brewers Guild. Once becoming a member. You will notice we have no laws. We had enough laws while hooked up with the ball and chain. Also, you will notice, that we only drink two beers during our weekly meeting. The first one and the last one. Our agenda varies. Last weeks meeting was for our new members. The subject discussed was: How to remove pink flowered wallpaper and safely dispose of scented candles and other girly stuff that the ex swmbo filled the house with. And the benefits of a urinal and how to install one in the master bath.

Put them in a room during the process,turn off fans,keep stuff covered,with a clean kitchen.I always pre clean my kitchen before hand(and after),spray down countertops,mop the floor for bottleing.Im more of a freak with the kids or girlfriend walking in and using the kitchen during the process.Worried what they touch or breathe on.

Back