Dirt Cheap DIY Bottle Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lackluster

Reaction score
Hi,
I just wanted to share this dirt cheap bottle washer that I rigged up.

I built an immersion chiller about a month ago and had a left-over fitting from the washing machine hose. I deliberately left a few inches of hose on the end of the fitting hoping it would come in handy some day.

While washing bottles yesterday I thought it would be nice to have a bottle washer/sprayer. I threw this together with the left-over fitting, and it works quite well. A picture says a thousand words.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

Basically, I drilled a hole in the centre of the cut hose, and fit a small nut, bolt, and few washers in place. By squeezing the hose flat, you can create an angular spray. Tightening the bolt will adjust the fan of the spray. Bigger washers might make it more uniform, but these worked fine for me. Though you can't really see it, there is plenty of water between the two thicker streams. Also, this is with that tap at about 20% - any higher and I would have had too much spray back on my camera.

The cut end of the hose looks a bit weird. The slimy things are actually the reinforcement braid. They could be trimmed a little closer, but I doubt it matters.

This sprayer is very simple to use with the single tap Moen I have. Basically I fit a bottle over the hose, hang on tight, and give a couple of shots with hot water while turning the bottle a bit. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this usefull.

Cheers,

Brian

Back