Direct Heat Recirculation in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
I have decided to take the plunge and move to a 3 vessel electric brew setup.

I am really torn between three styles of mash temperature control, and after doing ample research I still can't get a consensus of pro's/cons.

1. Kals electric brewery HERMS
  2. HERMS inside the mash tun https://byo.com/mead/item/2799-build-a-heated-mash-tun-projects
  3. Recirculating the mash in a whirlpool while heating with an element inside the mash tun

My initial build in my head was to use the third option. It seems pretty elegant and cheap. I will insulate my mash tun, use a locline arm to direct the recirculated wort into a bit of a whirlpool (not too worried about this). PID controlled ULWD density element in the mash tun will turn on when needed. Recirculation will run throughout the mash to ensure consistent temperatures. As long as I keep this sealed I shouldn’t be running into HSA. Only problem I can see is possibly scorching grains. Any other forseeable issues?

Also I realize how terrible the picture is of what i'm planning on doing, particularly where inputs and outputs in vessels will be and the height of vessels (will be three tier gravity fed). The colors show where the hoses will go for their functions but there is actually only a few hoses which will be moved around.

Any suggestions for the location of inputs for recirculation?

Last area of contention: the need for sparging after recirculation...

Thanks all! If there are major concerns I will save up and probably go with Kals build.

15631175_10206646600277750_1401734147_o.jpg

I think it's fine. The two downsides are: 1. It will be difficult to move enough wort past the element to transfer heat appropriately, especially with a side drain. This is why RIMS is a better design. It's probably no biggie for holding temp in a insulated kettle, especially indoors, but I think step mashes and mashing out will need be very slow. Remember convective currents rise, not sink. 2. You need a tall false bottom to keep the grain above the element.

Also, if you are willing to do three elements, I suggest RIMS. Also, if you are adventurous, skip the HLT and just sparge with room temp water!

Latest posts

Back