DIPA too boozy. Need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraftwerk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been getting great attenuation (86%) with my DIPA recipe by mashing at 145ºF and using 1lb dextrose. FGs coming out around 1.010. My goal is a really dry finish like Pliny the Elder or Port Anniversary (the one from last year). My beers sure are dry but they are also really 'hot' in terms of alcohol burn in the aroma. Some ideas I have:

1. Lower the O.G. 1.070 or so
  2. Mash higher (around 150ºF)
  3. Cut out the dextrose
  4. Age a bit longer

Which of these would you try? I want it to keep it strong (8-9% ABV) but just not quite as boozy.

Here's a recent batch in case you're interested:

7.7 gal pre-boil, 6 gallon post, 60 min
Mash: Single infusion @ 145, batch sparge
O.G. 1.078. Pre-boil gravity: 1.060. F.G. 1.011
(86% AA)
166 IBU (Rager)
Fermentation Temp: 64-74

Grain Bill
15 lb 2row
0.5 lb C15
1lb dextrose

Yeast
WLP001

Hops
2 oz Simcoe @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
.5 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra @ 5 & 1
3 oz. Columbus dry hop

Others
1 Whrifloc tablet

Water Treatment:
Base: Arrowhead Spring Water
Mash: 2.1g Gypsum, Calc. Chloride, & Baking Soda. 3.1g Epsom
Boil: 2g Gypsum, Calc. Chloride, & Baking Soda. 3g Epsom

Ferment at 64 for 3 days, then hold at 74. After 10-14 days, add dry hops for 7 days. Keg @ 12 PSI for 4-6 weeks.

You mention liking a lot of commercial DIPAs, but they don't hold back the OG, they mash where they want, age in general isn't something that benefits the style (aside form short aging). The percentage of dextrose isn't out of line for the style. You're getting strong fermentation by the sound of things (good AA). To me it has to be fermentation temperatures. My DIPAs using Wyeast 1272 often rise 8-9F above ambient temperature. Your post you mention fermenting @ 64 for 3 days then rising to 74. If your fermentation is still going strong at that point I would think the beer could be reaching the upper 70s. I'd try holding a fermentation in the upper 60s and see if there is improvement. Oh and the recipe sounds great.

Back