dIPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aStoutObserver

Reaction score
2-row = 12 lbs.
Munich = 2 lbs.
Crystal 10L = 8 oz.
Carapils = 4 oz.
Corn sugar = 1 lb.

Columbus = 1.5 oz. @ 60
Columbus = 1 @ 0
Amarillo = 2 oz. @ 0
Simcoe = 2 oz. @ 0

Columbus = .5 oz. @ dry for 7 days
Amarillo = .5 oz. @ dry for 7 days
Simcoe = .5 oz. @ dry for 7 days

Amarillo = 1.5 oz. @ dry for 4 days
Simcoe = 1.5 oz. @ dry for 4 days

What does everyone think? More hops?

Sorry

I also forgot 1 lb. Corn sugar. I will edit this.

Est. For all

Og: 1.086
Fg: 1.011
IBU: 76.2
Us-05

Est. Abv 10%

Mash at 148

Just use 2 row and the crystal 10L, about 3%

The hops are the show, using Munich and carapils serves no purpose. If your intent on using Munich sub that for the crystal but at 10% of the malt bill.

Chances are mashing at 148 and using a pound of corn sugar you'll finish more like 1.004-1.006, I've been having that problem lately. I'd forego the corn sugar. You may also want to add a 10-15 minute hop addition for added flavor.

I think it looks great. I'd keep the sugar and the mash temp where it is. Be sure to do a hopstand at flameout for maximum hop character. I usually do 30min or so before turning on the chiller

With that og you are definitely going to be over 10%. Plan on a fg of 1.006 give or take. I am assuming that you are using cal ale. If you are I'd ferment at 65 through high Krausen and then raise to 68-69 to finish it off. A good pitch and good o2 you should be done in about 6 days.

Good luck!

Thanks. Went ahead and brewed it on Saturday. Hit my temps. Had a boil over because I was distracted for a second too long. I missed my est. Og by 8 points (1.078). I don't mind the poor efficiency on this big of a beer though. Thanks again everyone

You're still going to be at 1.006 at the end. Probably have 90-92% attenuation with the combo of US05, 148 mash, and 1 lb of corn sugar. My last 2 IIPA's were very similar to this and each of them finished real low.

This looks like it should turn out something akin to Pliny to me. Nice job

Distractions always happen. Hell my last IPA had a 2.5hr hopstand by accident due to me getting pulled away from the process...hopefully itll be a happy mistake

Distractions always happen. Hell my last IPA had a 2.5hr hopstand by accident due to me getting pulled away from the process...hopefully itll be a happy mistake

Thanks. I put the recipe together and then looked around my recipes in beersmith to compare some things and came upon the Pliny clone and was surprised by the similarities. I guess my subconscious was drawing inspiration from it.

Will only enhance it in my opinion. Would greatly depend on the temp of the wort though..

Back