dipa becoming a bottle bomb...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donkeybalboa

Reaction score
I made a wonderful dipa that had carbed up nicely in my upstairs closet. Recently, I moved it to my basement storage. Now, after I grab one to put in the fridge, when I open it, it's a gusher! If I don't put it in the fridge, it won't gush. Thoughts/Solutions?

cold beer holds more dissolved co2.

warm over carbonated beer may have overall higher pressure in the bottle but more of it is in the gas blanket space. it has more potential to throw a cap or make a loud pop.

at a slightly lower pressure but with more dissolved, the expanding co2 brings the beer with it as it expands.

its easy to say "too much priming sugar", but that fact is you're on the ragged edge of having bottle bombs.

Is it really done before bottling?
if you're bottling from a primary and skipping a secondary are your siphoning procedures transferring to much yeast?

lots of the process to examine to stop it from happening again.

what about poping them warm w/o bending the cap and then putting the cap back on (not recaping just put it back on with your hand)
hen chilling?
its not conveinient but its better than wasting them

davis119 said:
what about poping them warm w/o bending the cap and then putting the cap back on (not recaping just put it back on with your hand)
hen chilling?
its not conveinient but its better than wasting them

Swingtops, so that might be a choice.

amandabab said:
its easy to say "too much priming sugar", but that fact is you're on the ragged edge of having bottle bombs.

Is it really done before bottling?
if you're bottling from a primary and skipping a secondary are your siphoning procedures transferring to much yeast?

lots of the process to examine to stop it from happening again.

yeah, straight from primary. Not a ton of yeast, but I suppose it could be more than I realize.

Back