Dinner disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Last night, I got bit by the cooking bug. Shallots! Dill! Mayo! Dijon! Capers! and the meat off two lovely salmon steaks. Salmon burgers! Made what appeared to be quarter pounders, slapped on the griddle, and cooked until there was a nice crust on each side. On top I made a nice dill mayo with more capers (I'm a big slut for salty, and my fiancee likes the briney bits as well.

Disaster.

Why is it I can eat salmon sushi, that is, raw, but a little undercooked salmon matter in the middle of the burger turned me completely off. I'm the guy who enjoyed lamb brains in lemon sauce, for those keeping score. Also, too much shallot. Neither of us could choke these things down. Epic fail. :eek:

What are your epic cooking failures? Extra points if you were, like me, hoping to "surprise" your sig other.

First time I made hamburgers from scratch I forgot the 'thumbprint in the middle' trick, and ended up with grilled meatballs. This was at our housewarming/memorial day party, there were about 20 burgers on the grill before I realized my mistake.

Still edible (actually pretty tasty) but I got made fun of the rest of the night. Of course the critics still ate them all!

There has been a few times where my wife tried cooking a new meal and it turned out to be 'less than edible'. If I remember correctly most of them have to do with seafood. Its a tricky situation where I have to pretend like its not terrible until she admits it - then we pull out the phone book for takeout.

I was going to cook an amazing dinner last night. But my girlfriend hid the kitchen.

Hahahahahaahahaha...now there's a great sense of humor. Love it.

Creamy - that sounds awesome! Bummer it didn't turn out. Seriously, my mouth is watering it sounds so good. Did you save the leftovers? Bet it'd be ok as a salad topper or something.

My worst: Pan sauce with grapefruit juice & tomato paste. Tasted like vomit. Not sure it'd be distinguishable in a blind tasting.

Probably my worst was the time I attempted to make my own chili sauce. It ended up being watery and not at all what I was going for. At that it didn't even have any spice in it nor fruitiness, just wateriness and a little hint of onion( not a favorite flavor of mine). I took the whole batch threw it down the drain and threw out the recipe. I have friends out in NM who make great chili sauces, then send them to me from time to time. I have asked for the recipe, somehow the subject gets changed and those emails get lost whenever I do :cross:

I tried to make an eggplant casserole once...
The top was burnt, the bottom was raw & the middle just soggy. Though this was due to the failure of a heating element in the stove, NOT my cooking.
I've yet to try making it again; but I will eventually.
Regards, GF.

Mostly my food is good. I recently made something at work, and hid it from other staff because I thought it was terrible. They found it and thought it was great. None of us had an authentic dish to compare it with, so there's no telling who was correct in judgment!

Back