Dilemma with all grain brewing ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
Hey folks i have a slight dilemma with my current brewing conditions. I have a wort chiller with my all grain setup , but i do not have a Faucet to connect it to :( I've been dragging all my stuff over to my brothers house to brew since they have a hose hook up, but its a hassle! I was curious if anyone had any other suggestions on how to possibly cool down 5 gallons of boiling wort ? I should also mention i can extract brew I'm just looking to all grain!

You can get an adapter to allow your wort chiller to connect to a standard kitchen faucet.

That's what I did. It depends on whether you have the proper threads on the sink faucet, but if you can unscrew an aerator, it's likely that it can be done.

Here's the one I use on my sink in the garage; I've connected my RO water filter to it, but it's the same threads for a hose connection.

sinkadapter.jpg

If for some reason you are unable to hook up to a faucet or don't want to go that way at your place, you can also set up a recirculating system with a sump pump and a cooler. Use less water that way too. I basically have to do this because I do not have a suitable faucet or hookup in my rental, and did not want to add a line to the plumbing to run the wort chiller.

I put my BK in my kitchen sink (you could use a big tub) and fill the with water in which I put frozen 1 gal milk jugs and loose ice. I spliced an old Rule 12V bilge pump to an AC adapter. I submerge the pump in the water and circulate the ice water through the IC and back into the sink. As the ice melts, I drain off a little water and add more ice. Uses very little water and cools from boiling to <70F in 15 - 20 min.

If for some reason you are unable to hook up to a faucet or don't want to go that way at your place, you can also set up a recirculating system with a sump pump and a cooler. Use less water that way too. I basically have to do this because I do not have a suitable faucet or hookup in my rental, and did not want to add a line to the plumbing to run the wort chiller.

This is what I do also. I live in the desert of Arizona and the ground water never gets cold enough. I load up a cooler with some frozen gallon jugs and pump the cold water through the IC collecting the hot run off for clean up later, Once I get down to 100 I switch to another cooler with ice and just recirculate until pitching temps.
I can get my wort down to the mid 60's in about 35 minutes this way.

This is what I do also. I live in the desert of Arizona and the ground water never gets cold enough. I load up a cooler with some frozen gallon jugs and pump the cold water through the IC collecting the hot run off for clean up later, Once I get down to 100 I switch to another cooler with ice and just recirculate until pitching temps.
I can get my wort down to the mid 60's in about 35 minutes this way.

Same here. I use a small fountain pump and a cooler of ice water.

If you do connect it to a kitchen sink or a laundry sink, you can add a little plastic ball valve to the other end so you can turn the flow on an off without running back to the faucet. They have inexpensive plastic valves in the garden section at the hardware store. If I remember right, you have to add another hose fitting to make it all work, but all together it was something like $6.

Back