Digital vs dial thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyerStraightsBrewing

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and I am building my all grain gravity brewing system from 1/2 barrel kegs. I am using a stainless keg for my brew kettle, mash tun, and sparge water with seperate burners. I doing some research and noticed that brew kettles are sold with dial thermometers with npt to secure and seal the pot. I also located some brewers using digital/timer thermometers with compression fittings. I wanted to get some feedback from everyone know which direction I should go since both ways are around 30 each... Any suggestions?

I recently got a digital and I think it is easier. But, I find myself checking it with the dial type. Totally irrational I know, but I seem to trust mechanical things over electronic things.

It really doesn't matter, both have their positives and negatives. A dial thermometer is more reliable, it will usually last longer depending on the manufacturer. And it's fairly water proof, so if you drop it in your boil or spill liquid all over it then it should be fine. However they are not nearly as accurate.

Digital thermometers are much more accurate but not waterproof. Nor are they as reliable, depending on the manufacturer. Additionally, some cheaper digital thermometers take a while to get a reading; they slowly count up to the correct temp.

Personally I prefer dial thermometers but that's just me.

I currently use a small digital thermometer and it reads in a few seconds. I'd like to install a through-wall thermometer, analog, for the boil kettle though. Just more convenient to glance at it and see what's going on.

For the mash, I am not too sure. I like having somewhat instant readings on that.

Back