Digital thermometer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 161678

Reaction score
I want to put an electronic thermometer in my ale pail. What is the best way to seal it up?

image-3312983116.jpg

People shrinkwrap the digital therms but I wouldn't want that in my fermenting beer.

The grommet is a good idea, but I see it leaking or using some sealer I wouldn't want in my beer.

I was looking for the thrifty way out, I guess my question is are there any food safe silicone type caulks or is this just a bad idea.

Taping the probe to your bucket and insulting it with a few folds of dish towel will be accurate to less than 1* F.

I used to use thermowells and switched because this is so accurate. If you still want to put the probe IN the liquid, go for it. But I'd recommend doing your own testing and determining if it's still worth the hassle to you.

Agreed with the above saying just to put it on the outside. A bit of styrofoam with a groove carved out into it for the probe works great too.

Back