Digital Thermometer - Thermoworks MTC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I just picked up Thermoworks' Mini Handheld Thermocouple (MTC).

The first thing I saw when I opened the package was a nice little gift they included.

thermoworks.jpg

Notice they're already open? I had to tear them from my wife's hands. They disappeared very shortly after.

Once I dug a little further into the box I found the MTC and two thermocouple probes I picked up. I was immediately struck by how small everything was. From the pictures I expected everything to be bigger. Note the quarter for scale.

mtc_thermocouple.jpg

Quality seems good, everything works as you might expect. I'll be using it in a brewday tomorrow, so I'll post more then.

-Joe

I have a thermapen that I really like, but like the remote probe you got even better.
Let us know how it performs.

Gave it a quick test this morning.

The wire probe read 31.5 to 32.3 in ice water, depending on where it was in relation to a cube. The penetration probe read around 35 until I touched it to a cube, then it instantly read 31.5. It looks like the thermocouple is precisely in the point of the probe. Cool!

The boiling water test was next. I did the penetration probe first, which read 214. It's response time is very, very fast.

The wire probe was a little slower, 10 seconds to go from 60 to 213.

The only thing I'm a little concerned with is the stiffness of the wire on the probe. It's not coat hanger wire or anything, but it's a little stiff. I'd be concerned about kinking it. We'll see how it holds up over time.

-Joe

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the total cost for those three items delivered to your door? I took a look at the ThermoWorks site and saw $43 for the thermometer w/o a probe and w/o a carrying case. Another $30 for the 113-151 meat probe plus $12 for the wire probe. Another $8.00 for the wallet if desired. So, something around $93 total plus shipping. Probably about $100 delivered. Is that about right?

I ordered this one from Cole Parmer. Comes with a probe and carrying case included. Paid $48.68 for it including tax and shipping:

Handheld Thermocouple Meters And Cole-Parmer Workhorse Thermocouple Thermometer - Cole-Parmer Catalog

ThermoWorks seems to be a little pricey IMO. I guess they can easily afford to throw in the jelly beans!

ThermoWorks seems to be a little pricey IMO. I guess they can easily afford to throw in the jelly beans!

I bought three inexpensive ($15ish) cheap digitals that were too inaccurate to use before I coughed up the dough for a thermapen. I think you need to consider that in the price.

They have a special on this thermometer right now.

I bought three inexpensive ($15ish) cheap digitals that were too inaccurate to use before I coughed up the dough for a thermapen. I think you need to consider that in the price.

They have a special on this thermometer right now.

IMO, the Cole Parmer equipment is very high quality. I've definitely considered that aspect. The Thermapen isn't versatile enough for my needs with it's affixed, non-detachable probe. I prefer the interchangeable mini plug "K" types.

I still think you can find a better deal at Cole Parmer and they have an equally wide choice of designs as ThermoWorks. Of course, this isn't helpful if you've already made the purchase.

I know I am bringing this back from the dead, but I wanted to post my results and thought it would be better to post here rather than starting a new thread.

I got today the same setup that the op got. I ordered the MTC - Mini Handheld Thermocouple Meter, the Heavy Duty Wire Probe, and the Plug Mounted SuperFast style probe.

All seem to work great and their temps are right on the money. I will be brewing this weekend and will update everyone then.

ThermoWorks seems to be a great company and I would definitely order from them again.

I'm still using these guys - in fact I did a brewday with the wire probe yesterday.

Thermoworks has been an excellent company to do business with. I can't recommend them highly enough.

-Joe

I'm still using these guys - in fact I did a brewday with the wire probe yesterday.

Thermoworks has been an excellent company to do business with. I can't recommend them highly enough.

-Joe

Glad to hear they have lasted you this long. It will be so nice to have a good thermometer to brew with than a turkey fryer thermometer that I had to guess if i was at the right temps. Ill let you know how it goes...

I've had my mtc about a year now, and LOVE it. I was one of those guys that went through 4 or 5 $20 inaccurate bbq thermos.

It costs more than a cheapo thermo, but what you get is peace of mind that 154F is actually 154.

Are the wires resistant to moisture? Do you guys use these during your mash, and just leave it submerged in the mash tun? If so what type thermocouple did you guys go with? Thanks for any help.

Yes, the wire probe has a PTFE-sealed tip that is specifically designed for immersion. I think it's good up to 450F.

-Joe

Back