DigiBoil Electric Kettle - 35L/9.25G (110V)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerveza23

Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing the subject kettle. I understand that it is bare bones, but that is all I need because I have other equipment for mashing/sparging. I typically brew outdoors with a propane burner, but I'd like to have the ability to brew indoors when the weather does not permit me to brew outdoors.

What are your experiences with this item as the boil kettle? I'd like to know timing, efficiency, accuracy and if you think the investment is worth it.

At 120v, it's dog slow. I do like the 17 gallon one because it's a 3500 watt heater and perfectly adequate for boiling a 6 gallon batch (and heating strike water for that matter).

Replying here as I tried to find some actual experiential data on this model and couldn't. I went round & round trying to decide on a custom kettle with immersion heater, a large kettle & induction burner, or the Digiboil 110v. I couldn't find any stats from someone who has this model, just the general guidance that it's slow, might not boil 6.5gal, and that 220v is better.

For my current space/budget, propane & 220v aren't an option and I wanted a bigger kettle so I had to move from the stovetop. I purchased the Digiboil 35L 110v model and did some tests to get my timings and boil-off rates before I use it for a brew day next weekend. Here are my results:

Kettle filled to ~6.25gal (basically right at the 24L mark) which is my general target pre-boil volume, ambient temp ~75F in my garage, wind N/A, lid off for all tests.

75F - 165F (my usual strike temp): 58 min
165F - boil: 59 min
Boil off per hour: 4L (4.23qts or ~1gal)

NOTE: the temp readout on the Digiboil never went above 208F but when it looked like it was boiling I checked with an instant read and got 212F. I didn't check the temp with the instant read at 165F so it's possible the display/sensor is off by a few degrees.

Was it slow? Yeah, but not too much worse than my stovetop. I wouldn't say it was a rolling boil, vigorous and more than a simmer, but it seemed strong enough to be useful. My stovetop could do a rolling boil with 3.75gal but I had maxed out that kettle. For my current needs this seems like a good solution and if I upgrade to a more advanced kettle in the future it can still be used to heat my strike & sparge water. I'll follow up after I use it for a brew day.

I just purchased one as my HLT for my Brewzilla 65L...just start heating the sparge right before mash in and should be good to go!

Looking forward to my next brew and thanks for sharing your info @csantoni

Cheers!

I agree that there seems to be little info out there on the DigiBoil - so I I would like to add my experience with the 240V version in hopes it might help someone.

I purchased a 35L/9.25Gal 240V kettle a little over two years ago. I choose the DigiBoil over the other All-in-One contenders for these reasons:
1. I brew on a low bench and did not want to deal with having to lift a mash basket to drain.
2. I wanted a non-integrated/ stand-alone pump for versatility and simplicity.
3. 240V for more rapid heating - my brewery was going in new construction and 240V power was in the plan from the beginning
4. Low cost

My experience:
I understand that it is bare bones, but that is all I need because I have other equipment for mashing/sparging. I typically brew outdoors with a propane burner, but I'd like to have the ability to brew indoors when the weather does not permit me to brew outdoors.

I started this way too since I had the other equipment from my propane/garage days. I quickly moved to No-sparge, then to BIAB with false bottom. And yes, it is awesome to brew indoors regardless of the weather and where all my other equipment is located.

Kettle filled to ~6.25gal (basically right at the 24L mark) which is my general target pre-boil volume, ambient temp ~75F in my garage, wind N/A, lid off for all tests.

Here is the comparable data on the 240V kettle

75F- 165 F 35.5 min
165F - boil 24 min
Boil off per hour: 2.6 L / HR 1900W 3.6L /HR 2400W

I can't account for the much lower rate than that reported by csantoni, but my 2.6 L/HR is a nice steady roiling boil and is confirmed with my previous tests and measured again today.

NOTE: the temp readout on the DigiBoil never went above 208F but when it looked like it was boiling I checked with an instant read and got 212F. I didn't check the temp with the instant read at 165F so it's possible the display/sensor is off by a few degrees.

My experience is similar. But in my case the display reads 2-3 degrees HIGHER than measured with a thermometer. And the variance is maintained through out the heating range.

The DigiBoil is a workhorse. I have used it in ways that it was never intended and it has never failed me.
I have run the DigiBoil continuously for 10-12 hours as a pre-heater for our maple sap evaporator. Heating sap from 40F to 180F.
We have used the DigiBoil to sanitize sap - bringing 6 gallons of sap to a boil multiple time in a single day
The DigiBoil serves as my water-bath canning kettle, and is used to heat water for cleaning/ sanitizing the sap collection buckets and barrels.
I have brewed about 20 batches of beer with out issue. However, I brew 4 gallon batches due to my fermenter restrictions, those wanting larger volumes might want to consider a larger kettle. I did have to change the 240V plug to match the one in my home.

TL/DR - If my DigiBoil died today, I would consider that I got my money's worth on this one and would buy another.

I have the 35L Digiboil but have yet to use it. I don't have a lot to offer as to its abilities, but I can say that its claims of being good for sous vide are not very practical. I look forward to reading more experiences before I use it for brewing.

Mashed in 30 mins ago, sparge water is heating. More details to follow!

PXL_20210717_173603664.MP.jpg

This discussion has been super helpful! I’ve been looking for an inexpensive kettle to heat water and boil wort. I’m going to try one of these. ;-)

I have a Mash&Boil and use Reflectix around it, cut to fit around the valve. I haven't timed my sparge and boil time like you have but it would, of course, bring it up to temp faster and also I can see the boil is more vigorous. I secure it with a couple of bungie cords and take it off at immersion chiller time.

Last edited:
Back