Different mash temps....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt1111

Reaction score
Got a question for you guys. I just broached the AG brewing, and had a great (and successful) time doing it. I want to do a belgian wheat ale next, and herein lies my question. I am supposed to mash at a lower temp first, namely 122 degrees F, for 30 minutes, then raise the temp to 151 degrees F for another 45 minutes. What's the best way of doing this? Should I drain the wort into my brew kettle, heat it to 151, and then mash away again? Is there an easier way of rasing the temp for the last 45 minutes? I use a converted 10 gallon rubbermaid container for mashing, so draining and then pouring back in at a higher temp would be easy; I'm just not sure if that's really the correct way of doing it. Thoughts?

You don't HAVE to step mash just because you are using flaked wheat, but your efficiency will be 10-15 points lower than usual if you do a single infusion, so you will want to compensate. Alternatively you could use 50/50 flaked wheat and wheat malt in place of flaked wheat, and you'll get pretty close. I did that recently on a wit and I hit 78% eff. when my usual efficiency is 82%.

Rather than stepping you could do a cereal mash. Say you have 3 pounds of flaked wheat and 1/2 pound oats. You could mash with 2 pounds of 6-row (substituted for 2-row in your base grains in the recipe) on the stove in a pot at 122 for 20-30 minutes. Dough in the rest of your base malt (2-row or pils) as usual. Raise the temp of the cereal mash to your sacc rest temp in your pot, and then add the cereal mash to your mash tun for the remainder of the mash. Next time I do a wheat based beer this is what I'm planning to do. It's easier than a decoction mash but accomplishes the same ends by giving the wheat and oats a protein rest.

- Eric

Latest posts

Back