Different lines to beer tower, how to calculate length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
I'm currently building out my basement that will have a 4 faucet tower on the bar counter with a chest freezer from behind the wall feeding it. Lines will be glycol chilled.

I'm looking at a tower that has stainless steel lines in it, guessing about 5 feet, and I like the concept of ss lines instead of vinyl. I'm told the resistance is 1.2lbs per foot for ss. I would connect this to 3/16 vinyl for the line going into the chest freezer. My question is how do I figure how long of line I will need past the tower. I'd like ss but if it's too complicated I'll just do s 3/16 vinyl line all around.

Thoughts?

for normal short draw systems you want 5' of 3/16 restrictor line for a keg on the floor to tap at chest height. handy rule of thumb.

draft balancing calculators like the one rudy linked to above can sort it out for you in more detail.

I'd suggest this calculator. While 5 ft may work for some there are a whole lot of folks on here including me who needed much longer lines to balance. That 3 psi/ft restriction on 3/16" lines just doesn't seem to work for most people.

The only thing those calculators don't allow me to do is take into account different resistance lines like going from stainless to vinyl.

but you can add them together. the resistance from the SS plus the resistance from the vinyl.

look up the brewers association draft manual. it tells you how to calculate manually. its not hard. should be available online somewhere in pdf.

The line connection is certainly going to toss an extra variable in.

If you really aren't into the math, there is a really simple way to balance. Just start with 1 line and use more tubing than you think you will need. Cut 1 ft at a time off until you balance to the flow rate/foaming rate you are like. It will cost you an extra $5 of tubing, but it's just a 1 time expense.

I think most of us error on the side of "low flow/low foam." A bar needs to crank out orders and is willing to lose a bit of beer in the process. At home, I'll wait an extra 4 seconds.

I'd suggest this calculator. While 5 ft may work for some there are a whole lot of folks on here including me who needed much longer lines to balance. That 3 psi/ft restriction on 3/16" lines just doesn't seem to work for most people.

I feel the same on this. Did all the calculations and would up with 10 foot 3/16" lines but beer still poured to quickly and foamed more than I wanted. That is, with beer under proper pressure for carbonation by style. So, I inserted 1/8" diameter polyethylene welding wire into the hoses and beer pours slowly but with perfect control. Cool thing is, I can take the faucet off and simply insert, remove or change the length of the "tuning" line very easily.

Latest posts

Back