Difference between cold / Room temp conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmiltime

Reaction score
I have a keg of brew that will need to be conditioned for at least another month or two before it is ready. Does beer condition differently at different temps? I can either keep it in my kegerator (about 38°) or leave it at room temp (about 72°). If I leave it in my kegerator, it will take up valuable room that I could be tapping another keg. How if at all will the temps affect the way the beer ages?

If you just took it out of primary/secondary fermentation, then it needs to be at room temp to carbonate, the warmer the faster it will happen, up to about 70 degrees F is safe.

It is a Gulden Draak clone recipe. The OG was 1.101 and FG was 1.021. I had it in Primary for 2 weeks then moved to secondary (using keg for secondary)for 3 weeks. I tasted it and it definitely needs more time (I am guessing at least another couple months) to mellow out. I was just wondering if there is any benefit in having it condition at room temp vs. in the kegerator. By the way, I force carbonate so I am not worried about carbonation via priming and yeast.

Someone with more experience than me will probably have better advice but I think that a big ale like that is going to be fine at 72F. You're not lagering it so you probably shouldn't feel a need to condition it at 38F.

Warm will be fine. There's several minor differences (best explained by someone witha PhD), but as long as you don't leave it at room temp for a year, I think you'll be great. After 2-3 months it should be awesome.

Thanks guys. I will put it in a cold dark corner and forget about it for a while. I have a couple of lighter brews that will be ready to go shortly so I'll give this some time at room temp.

Back