Didn't use stainless couplings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tch1980

Reaction score
I have searched the forums for awhile about rust and removing it. But my problem is I didn't use stainless coupling...and it rusted. I believe the couplings are "merchant couplings" (not galvenized). If all the rust is removed with a stainless wire wheel will it be ok to use?

... I hate to tell you; but no. You can use it but it'll rust again. I don't really know the best way to keep this from happening. something along the lines of cutting it out and replacing it with a stainless plate and a stainless coupler welded into the plate... Sorry for the bad news brother.

thanks, I kinda thought that. I'm going to try to clean it and run one quick batch through. I just went and picked up a stainless wire wheel and a nylon wire wheel. I guess the worse that could happen is a little off flavor from any rust residue.

Is this on your mash tun? Why not just replace it with stainless?

It's in my HLT/MT/and BK. I had these made a few years back and haven't used them in while. After you remove them wouldn't the opening be too big for 1/2"? or would you just go to a 3/4 or 1" and reduce down? also what would be the best way to remove it (die grinder/ hammer...)? sorry for all the questions? trying to salvage them.

Oh, these are couplings that were welded in? That's a tough one. I think grinding the weld bead away would be the first step and then a solid shot with a hammer on the inside while the coupling is sitting inside a larger coupling as a sleeve as a backing. There's a chance you'll have to go up a size but it's better than rusty-brew.

Latest posts

Back