Didn't remove sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustagb

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing beer. I am doing an american pale ale, I call it Piciformes Pale. After doing all the boiling and adding the hop pellets I poured the whole batch, sludge and all into my convoy. I just read that you are supposed to leave as much of that out as possible. Is this right and what can I do now that it is already in. It is my 3rd day of fermentation. The beer is very dark and there is a lot of sediment at the bottom. Thanks for your help.

Hello and thanks for getting back to me so quickly. For futures sake should I leave the sludge out? Also I have a 6 gallon glass carboy and my home brew calls for making 5 gallons. I just estimated on my first batch but for best results it probably should be rather precise. Why do they not have volume marks on the carboy? Thanks again

Many people use paint strainer bags for hops (I am one of them) and it helps keep a good bit of the sludge out of of your carboy. Just add the hops to the bag instead of directly to the boil. Having the sludge in there won't hurt your beer, and it will settle out over time.

There's a cool thread on here about how to etch volume marks onto glass carboys. I think I'll do that one day. Right now I'm using freezer tape with volume indicators. It's just to hard to guesstimate the volume without measuring and marking before hand.

I also use the bags, I close them with a plastic zip tie and toss em into the brew pot. A large funnel with a fine mesh screen is also handy to screen out some of the debris. Like others have said, it will sink to the bottom so no worries. Good Luck.

i always put everything in my fermenter. And for measuring, i put it in my bucket first, to add the water to get to 5 gallons, then I add the yeast and stir it in, then i pour it into my carboy with a funnel. Does that sound ok to everyone? It's easier that way than stirring the yeast in while in the carboy

i always put everything in my fermenter. And for measuring, i put it in my bucket first, to add the water to get to 5 gallons, then I add the yeast and stir it in, then i pour it into my carboy with a funnel. Does that sound ok to everyone? It's easier that way than stirring the yeast in while in the carboy

I'm no expert by any sense of the word but, after watching my a few fermentations, u don't really need to stir in the yeast. they will do plenty of stirring on there own. but i do see ur process as a great way of oxygenating the wort

Many ways to make beer. The less sludge you transfer to the fermenter, the less trub will form and the faster your beer will clear. That's about the whole story.

you'll just have more trub left, I dont think it will clear any faster. You want to be careful not to disturb it when racking, but you'll have to do that anyway.

I have not found a great way to get all the trub out when transfering from the brew kettle to the primary. I tried the paint strainer method but I hate to leave residual beer in the brew kettle so I end up dumping it all into the primary. I think the method that will be best for my requirements will be to get a SS collander and dump it through that to collect the hops and perhaps some of the protein.

What does racking mean? And what is primary and secondary. I am doing the whole fermentation in my glass carboy, is that not what I'm supposed to do?

What does racking mean? And what is primary and secondary. I am doing the whole fermentation in my glass carboy, is that not what I'm supposed to do?

that's fine. A secondary would be if you moved it to a 2nd fermentor for a couple weeks before you bottle. Some guys use them, some don't. If your beer tastes good, you did it right!

And racking is a simple term for transferring from one container to another (usually using a siphon).

And welcome to the forum.

-a.

Don't worry about racking to a secondary or the trub, with enough time you beer will ferment, condition and clear without racking to secondary.
Racking is moving the liquid from one container to another without adding air. IE siphon from the bottom of one vessel to another.
Air is not wanted after fermentation is complete as it give a pretty bad taste to the beer.
Read John Palmers "How to Brew" first edition online for free if you have not already. Great book, and I still go back to read parts.
How to Brew - By John Palmer

Welcome to HBT and homebrewing.

Back