Didn't hit my target pH with EZ Water Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpirius

Reaction score
I used the EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet for the first time to brew the Nutty Man Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles, but my measured pH didn't match up and I'm not sure why. I tested the pH with strips from Precision Labs that range from 4.6 to 6.2 in 0.4 increments. After 20 mins the mash pH was 5.0, and at the end of the mash time the pH was closer to 4.6. I have lab results from Ward Labs for my starting water profile, so I know that's accurate.

Any clues on were I went wrong?

Thanks for any help provided.

BeerSmith Receipt Ingredients:
7494-nutmanbrown.png

Screen shot of the malts I entered into the EZ Calculator:
7495-ezwater.png

EZ Water Calculator Raw Text format:
Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 2
Mg: 0.5
Na: 4
Cl: 3
SO4: 1.5
HCO3: 22

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 5.285 / 8.42
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 16.9

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 1 / 1.593188269
CaCl2: 2.5 / 3.982970672
MgSO4: 2 / 3.186376537
NaHCO3: 3 / 0
CaCO3: 5 / 7.965941343
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 148 / 148
Mg: 10 / 10
Na: 45 / 20
Cl: 63 / 63
SO4: 68 / 68
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.93 / 0.93

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 230
RA: 119
Estimated pH: 5.52
(room temp)

Some pH strips are notoriously inaccurate, so I'm not inclined to believe the result. A calibrated pH meter is much better.

I see that the starting water has very low mineralization...great water. But its not ideal for brewing a brown ale with a nice dose of crystal malts. I see that chalk was added to the mash. Chalk is not very reliable for adding alkalinity, so I'm not too surprised with the result. I can believe a mash pH around 5, but I don't think that it would sink all the way to 4.6. I'm not believing the strip readings. I expect that your mash pH was closer to the intended target.

Find some pickling lime and use that for adding alkalinity to the mash. Do think about buying or borrowing a pH meter for the next brew. Remember that all mash pH readings should be performed on a cooled sample.

Yea, I don't know how accurate the strips are. Would like to get a pH meter.

The EZ Water Calculator only uses half of chalks potential because of how it is difficult to dissolve. Not sure how much more accurate that makes its calculation. I'll pick up some pickling lime.

I haven't head that pH readings need to be at room temp, though I did cool a sample on this batch because the EZ sheet says "Estimated Room-Temp Mash pH". Mash temp and room temp samples seemed to give the same reading though.

Thanks for the help!

I think Gordon Strong states that mash ph at mash temperatures are about .3 higher than at room temperature. So just take that into consideration when checking ph and you should be fine.

Breck09 said:
I think Gordon Strong states that mash ph at mash temperatures are about .3 higher than at room temperature. So just take that into consideration when checking ph and you should be fine.

Kai Troester on braukaiser says that the ColorpHast pH strips don't make a difference. A pH meter does though. He does say that the ColorpHast strips consistently measure a pH that is .3 low. I know the OP didn't use this brand but they may be in the same boat. One more reason I'm considering a pH meter when funds become available. Till then I'm just taking 60 degree measurements and adding .3 to my reading.

Back