Did not "start" the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLodger

Reaction score
So I have my first brown ale fermenting for about a week, plan on checking the gravity at the end of the week, hopefully going to bottle by next week.

Been looking around the forums, how-to sites, books, etc. to prevent my need to fiddle, and I realized that I didn't do the start the yeast. I just sprinkled the yeast onto the cooled wort and water.

I don't think this is going ruin the beer, but I'm wondering if this will cause problems with bottling, any adjustments I should make to avoid any potential disasters?

First off, if you used a dry yeast, you don't need a starter. If you used a liquid yeast, then you just underpitched a bit. It won't cause any problems with bottling or anything else. The worst case scenario is that you develop some off flavors, and even that isn't guaranteed to be a bad thing. In fact some commercial breweries deliberately underpitch some of their beers because of the flavor profile it develops that way.

If it was dry yeast, they do not need starters. They have so many yeast cells that there is no real need to make a starter. Unless the yeast is really old. I think that you are OK.

I am relatively new but this is how I understand it.

You should be fine.

I would urge you to consider waiting an extra week or two before bottling, but I know when it's your first batch it's so hard to wait.

Yep, no issues now or at bottling. No need to fiddle! :D

Dry yeast can be sprinkled directly onto wort but you get many more healthy yeast cells if you hydrate in warm water for 15 or 20 minutes before pitching. I only mention this for you future information. Get started on your next batch right away and then another after that so you won't have the urge to worry or fiddle.

Whew, that's a load off. I used dry yeast, so I'm not worried. Thanks a bunch, for as usual, making the cool side of my head the driver.

Even with liquid yeast you may have been fine. Since you didn't list your OG, no one could know if a vial of liquid yeast would have resulted in underpitching. If your OG is under 1.050, there's no need to do a starter, even if using liquid yeast.

http://brewcrusader.blogspot.com/

Back