Did my yeast wake up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelrad

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain caramel amber ale 3 weeks ago. It's been in the primary ever since at around 60-63 degrees. Unfortunately, I broke my hydrometer a few days ago and haven't been able to get another one yet. I was going to bottle today, since after 3 weeks I figured fermentation was over. When I pulled the lid off my primary, I could see the krausen ring, and relatively clean beer. But as soon as I bumped the bucket a bit, yeast started bubbling up to the surface. Not crazy or anything, but definitely a number of them. Is this normal, or is it possible that after 3 weeks my fermentation still isn't done?

Yes, I know a hydrometer is the only way to truly tell, but that's really not an option right now since mine is in pieces. If this is normal to see some minimal yeast activity when the bucket gets bumped, then I'd just like to know. Otherwise should I stir the yeast cake up and let it set for another week?:confused:

Was it a slow constant bubbling or just a few bubbles when you moved it? Are you kegging or bottling? It is probably ok. Mine will always give off some gas when I move the carboy. There is always some CO2 in solution BUT you need to check it with a hydrometer.

Just a few bubbles immediately when I moved the bucket. It's been sitting for about 10 minutes now, and I'd say there are 2 small bubbles every 10-15 seconds. I'm bottling, so I'm worried about getting some bombs.

You should be fine. I would guess that the bubbles will stop if left alone for an hour or so. If you're worried about it then leave it for another week, it won't hurt the beer to sit for a little longer, and pick up a new hydrometer to check the situation and be sure.

Back