Did my hops die over winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
I planted a centennial rhizome last year in a pot and trimmed it down in late fall. It was a pretty cold winter here in New York and I think my hops died. How long does it usually take for them to sprout? I cleared some dirt around the two stems that I trimmed back and they were both waterlogged. I'm assuming that's a bad sign, but is there any hope for them to grow back?

Its hard to say for certain. All of mine came back (also NY). Even one that was a clipping and just stuck in the ground halfway through the season.

But since yours was in a pot and water logged my fear would be no insulation. But these are hardy plants, I'd be surprised if it didn't come back. Its only just starting to get warm, give it a few weeks.

It's still a little early to tell, give it another week or two. If no shoots are seen, carefully dig the plant up and check for signs of life (new roots, white shoots). Here in Wisconsin, I have lost several plants to prolonged negative temps, especially in pots. If nothing comes up within a week or two of my other plants I usually find that the crown/roots of the plant are soft and spongy... I then shed a single tear and plant 10 new ones. Didn't you get piles of snow out there? That should have helped insulate them, but yeah. Potted plants are more susceptible to freezing

Latest posts

Back