Did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I keep having trouble with my keg beer always seeming a touch flat to me, with the exception of hte keg I naturally carbonated -maybe this is sign. Here is my latest attempt, I am getting more foam than usual (previously, never really had foam issues, just always seemed a touch flat).

40 degree fridge, 9' 3/16" line, Perlick 525 faucet.

Kegged Belgian wit last Sunday morning, attached gas at 30psi and left alone until Wednesday afternoon. Sampled Wedensday afternoon and beer was showing good signs of carbonation so I shut off the gas, purged the keg, and reconnected at 15psi. I was in no real big hurry so I did not do any of the shaking, rolling etc and figured what ever carbonation was lacking Wednesday afternoon would settle in at 15psi instead of risking over carbonation. Thursday I noticed a foamy pour and thought the beer seemed slightly flat. I assumed it just had not gotten there yet, so left it alone until today. I just sampled again and had another foamy pour and seems more flat to me. One of these days I will learn to just naturally carb or set and forget.

Is it possible that I over did it, and the co2 is coming out of suspension in line? Does my line length seem feasible for the temp and psi? This is an odd thought, but I have my excess line routed up and down inside the fridge using the shelves in the door, could the up and down with bends in the tubing introduce turbulence?

I ran my last cider at 12 psi, and while it did not foam, it seemed a little flat so I decided to run 15 on this Wit, based on the carbonation charts.

Any help would be appreciated..

Also worth noting, I replaced my regulator with a brand new taprite a while back as I thought my old regulator was to blame, so I hope that rules out faulty regulator and rules in faulty regulator operator :)

the up and downs of the tube are not helping, i had this problem when i first started. I changed mine to a coil on top of each keg and rising up to the tap from there. I was told the dips and rises in the line would contribute to pockets of co2. I dont know if this is scientifically true or not, but it did help in my case. 30lbs at 4 days might also have been a bit excessive, if im in a hurry i do 30 lbs for 2 days then purge and back to 12 for a few days, but the carb honestly gets better after another week. 9' also seems a bit short but not by much. I get good pours at 38 degrees, 12lbs 12' foot lines. This is all just my experience though..

Thanks Mike! I will re-route so that it is coiled around the keg. Anything else that I should be looking at?

Latest posts

Back