Did I screw up my batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape In A Cape

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

I just transferred my 5 gallons of all-grain wort into my glass carboy. After pitching yeast I realized my rubber airlock topper was too large for the carboy. I still attempted to squeeze it on however, it kept popping off. In a panic, I sealed the carboy with food-grade saran warp then I went to my garage and grabbed my plastic fermentor. After a good wash and sanitation (15mins or so), I poured the batch from glass carboy into the plastic fermentor. Since I was in a panic, I didn't think it through and literally just turned glass carboy upsidedown and splashed the batch into the plastic fermentor. I am now wondering was that too aggressive. The splashing around was rather violent. Did I hurt my batch? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Slainte
David Anthony

Should be just fine. In a pinch you could always just loosely wrap some foil over the opening of the carboy.

Loose bungs ain’t no big thang in this hobby.

If anything, I’d argue that you did more good than harm. Yeast need O2, which you added by your “violent” dumping.

A drippy bung however, you might want to have that checked out.

Latest posts

Back