did I screw this up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
So, I was finishing up my 3rd brew of the day, and instead of siphoning my freshly cooled wort, I did a slow dump from the kettle to the primary. I accidentally dumped some of the bottom dwelling yucky stuff in to the primary. Did I ruin the batch? Or do I maybe need to do a secondary? Any help would be very much appreciated. Gracias.

I don't think it is a big deal. Give it about 3 weeks in primary (assuming it is a normal gravity brew) then bottle. That's what I would do.

It will settle out during fermentation then you can just rack your beer and leave it behind. No biggie.

That's no biggie. Today when I dumped the wort from my brew kettle, there was tons of trub-some definitely made it in, but I used a big funnel with a nylon hop bag wrapped around it, and it caught a bunch of gunk!! Still a lot of trub in the carboy, but at least I got what I could. Another thing you can do, is after fermentation is complete, cold crash it to get the trub to compact really tight to the bottom. Congrats on a 3 brew day!!

Thanks Guys. I am usually very careful to siphon everything, leaving the trub behind....just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to have to dump a batch.

there's almost never a reason to dump a batch. it has been said on this forum, "unless it smells like satans anus, dont dump it!" usually what ever you've done to it isn't a big deal and may or may not need to be fixed or adjusted for. but even if it's finished and it has some off flavors, the general rule around here is to let it age for a while. do a search on "did i ruin my beer" and "never dump a batch" you'd be surprised at the things people have done and still ended up with good beer:mug:

Latest posts

Back