did I sanitize enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
I m making a pear cider and using reused 15.2 oz. Grolsch beer bottles I received off my brother in-law. The bottles are green and have a flip top. When he gave them to me they had mold inn the bottom of the bottles I guess from left over beer residue and from sitting for a few weeks. I filled each bottle half full with hot water and shook vigorously then dumped out. I then refilled with boiling water and repeated the process again. Looks like all the mold came out and now I am letting them air dry. Will this be good enough of should I do more sanitizing before bottling my cider?

Nowhere near enough. You need 2 chemicals, a cleaner and a sanitizer. I use a cleaner called One-Step. Soak the bottles overnight in that, it'll also loosen the labels if they're still on. Then use a bottle brush and scrub the insides. Rinse with clear water and invert to dry.

You also need a sanitizer to kill the germs you can't see. The most popular one is StarSan. Soak bottles in that for 5 minutes on bottling day. Or get a "Vinator" rinser for that, well worth the money.

Nowhere near enough. You need 2 chemicals, a cleaner and a sanitizer. I use a cleaner called One-Step. Soak the bottles overnight in that, it'll also loosen the labels if they're still on. Then use a bottle brush and scrub the insides. Rinse with clear water and invert to dry.

You also need a sanitizer to kill the germs you can't see. The most popular one is StarSan. Soak bottles in that for 5 minutes on bottling day. Or get a "Vinator" rinser for that, well worth the money.

What he said. You need to clean AND sanitize the bottles.

soaking bottles in cold starsan before filling will keep the foaming down, too

Sanitizing sanitizes all the surfaces the sanitizer touches. What it cannot do is get under dirt and slime and whatever else might still be in the bottle. Bacteria will hide there, and come out into the beer if it's not removed.

So what you do is first clean to remove the dirt and stuck on stuff, then sanitize to kill anything on the surface.

That's sanitizing. You could also sterilize the bottles--boiling water would do that if it's held at that temp long enough--which will kill everything, even bacteria under a layer of soil. Sometimes people will sterilize bottles in an oven, leaving them at some temp above 212f for a specified amount of time.

My own method--others do something similar--is to triple-rinse a bottle when I'm done with it. I don't fill them all the way, just a couple ounces or two, swish around, then pour out. Three times. I then inspect to see if there's any apparent residue.

Then the bottles are inverted in the dishwaster upper rack and sent through a normal cycle. The bottles in mine end up clean. But they're not sanitized, so just before bottling I rinse them with a vinator; dip the mouth of the bottle in the solution, then a couple squirts, let drain, and fill w/ beer.

A vinator is one of the better buys I've made. Speeds things up, keep the bottle caps in the reservoir where they're sanitized, and everybody's happy.

I personally wouldn't even think about using them if they had any mold in them whatsoever. I've had too many bottles wasted because of how hard it is to remove. I bath in hot soapy water, then rinse with fresh, then dry, then do the same with steriliser.

Latest posts

Back