Did I over do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
Soo, was clearing out some malts that seemed like they would make a good porter. It wasn't until AFTER i mashed in that I realized that honey malt goes a long way. I'm guessing 2 pounds is way to much. Go ahead and chuckle at my expense, i'm sure i deserve it

That is indeed a LOT of honey malt. However, it is going into a dark beer, so it may add a really unique and neat flavor. Could be really good!

Do what I do when a "woops" brew comes along; brew it out, bottle/keg, and taste it before anyone else has a chance. If it has an apparently different flavor then come up with a modified style name. "Honey Porter" or similar. Or, have an explanation for it like "some folks find Porters hard to drink on their own, so I customized it to have a bit of sweetness and added smoothness to round out the harsher dark grains."

Or just have a good story about it at your own expense. Either way, a good beer with a mistaken grain bill is still a good beer. Let us now how it turns out!

Honey Malt can and is sometimes used as a base malt as it's not highly kilned and doesn't contribute an overwhelming flavor. I wouldn't be too worried, 2 lbs isn't going to be a problem.

The Any Porter in the Storm grainbill is as follows
4.5# Marris Otter
2.5# 2row
2#amber
2#honey
3/4# Chocolate
3/4# Crystal 120
used us-04 in a starter and I'm glad I had a blow off tube. My entire closet smelled of chocolate and coffee

The 2# of Amber might be a problem!!! Take your time and do some research BEFORE you brew...

Amber is a very rare British Malt. The grain is dried to about 3% moisture and then heated quickly to above 95°C. The temperature is then raised slowly to around l40°C where it is held until the correct colour is achieved. An interesting alternative to crystal malt in bitters and outstanding in dark ales, especially Porters.

Colour 5O - 90 EBC; Maximum percentage 20%
I found it here

From Fawcett: "Roasted specialty malt used in some English browns, milds and old ales to add color and a biscuit taste. Intense flavor - so limit use. Low diastatic power so must be mashed with well modified malts."
I've used it and it doesn't take much...

I just took a reading on it, and it actually has some nice roasty notes with a bit of sweetness, rather nice. Gravity on it is about 1015. I'll never use that much again, but i am happy that it tastes the way it does. This was basically a clean out the closet brew. Thanks for the info Poobah. Also, I have no clue what maltster the grain is from, and I'm sure there is a slight difference from one to the other.

Back