Did I Make A Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gernannt

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post. I just started my first batch of mead and am not sure if I did something wrong.

I bought a brewing kit with a 6 gal fermenting bucket and a 3 gal carboy. I got 3 gal of distilled water, 12 lbs of clover honey, nutrient, energizer and D-47 yeast.

I poured one gallon of water into the bucket and then emptied the honey bottles into it. I filled the bucket to the. 3 gal line with a second gallon of water. (I have a whole gallon left...hmmm)

When I floated the hydrometer I got an SG reading of 1.147. I pitched my yeast and put the lid and airlock in place.

Now I have been sitting here thinking about the SG reading. Is that too high? Have I screwed the pooch on my first batch? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are no mistakes, just happy accidents (usually ;) ) Have never used D-47, and your og is kinda high, so don't expect this to ferment dry....it'll be a sweet, still mead, doubt it'd be possible to carbonate without force carbing in a keg, but....keep the ferment temp on the low side, as iirc D-47 doesn't like to be above 70* (fermenting must temp, not ambient)....just give it time...lots o' time. Worse comes to worst, you might need to pitch a yeast beast if this stalls along the way (Lalvin 1118 will eat through a LOT of fermentables). Good luck, relax, and be patient....very patient. You did add the nutrient/energizer, yes? I think it will be fine, as long as you have the patience :)

If you are concerned that the sg is too high you could just add more water till you hit a happier sg.

D-47 isn't going to ferment all that sugar. I'd add the extra water in. 1.147 is ~17-18% and D-47 goes to 13-14%.

Another issue with that high SG may stress the yeast way out and it may stall even shorter than 13% and leave you with something to put on pancakes, the good thing is that you did use some yeast nutrients so you may not get that.

You might have a fuss with this batch but it's a ways away from being ruined.

Thanks for the feedback. If I were to switch to a different yeast when would I pitch it? Now or after the D-47 stops working?

Yeast isn't like an electric device.......just "switching" isn't easy. If you cold crash it, but it is still possible for the D47 to start up again.... and chems you might use to inhibit it would likely affect the new yeast......

plus once the D47 has finished its cycle it maybe that there's too much alcohol to try restarting with something else......

I suggest you either add a bit more water now, or if the batch hasn't been going long, get some K1-V1116 in there so it can become the dominant yeast (it has the "killer factor"). But its possible that might not work if you leave it too long.....

Ok. I added another gallon of water to the must last night. Hopefully, that will make things easier. I did notice an alcohol smell when I removed the lid from the fermenter so I can only assume something good is happening in there.

Thank you for the advice. This is a very helpful forum!

For what it's worth, with Lavlin 71-B, I successfully fermented a 1.145 SG down to about 1.018 on my first try...almost 17% alcohol when I believe the limit on that strain is supposedly 14%. Use staggered nutrient additions and degas THOROUGHLY and you can power right through an SG like that. Diluting a bit was probably the move though, I'm not sure D47 does as well with high SGs.

Well, it is bubbling away quite nicely. I am shaking it a couple times a day and it is releasing plenty of gas.

Is there a way to tell what the OG should have been with the additional water? That is now 3 gal water and 12 lbs honey.

Also when should I add more nutrient and how much?

Back