Did I kill my refrigerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgBrew12

Reaction score
So I found a top shelf frigidaire refrigerator on CL for $60 and picked the thing up last night.

I've been looking through all of the kegerator builds on here and could not wait to start building my own. In fact I was so eager to get the thing running, that I plugged it in when I got home, having forgotten that it needed to sit upright for a day... :smack: (I transported it on its back in my truck bed).

After wondering why the air coming through the freezer did not seem to cold, I realized my mistake and unplugged it. The unit was probably running for 3-5 minutes max.

Did I kill my kegerator before it even had life?????!

It'll probably be OK. When I moved any fridge I usually let it sit for a few hours before plugging it in.

Are you sure it was working when you picked it up?

Just let it sit a few hours. Maybe a day if you're paranoid. If it cools down the next time you plug it in you're fine.

also remember that full size fridges can take a decent amount of time to get down to temp when it's been off for a long time.

Thanks for the responses.

The guy I bought it from offered to plug it in to show me it worked. However, I told him I trusted him and that I was in a hurry. Hopefully, I don't regret that decision.

I plan on plugging it in tonight.

Latest posts

Back