Did I infect the glass on apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodJRx

Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes - another "Did I ruin it?" thread. However, this one is a bit different (I think).

So I made Edwort's Apfelwein, and it's been sitting for about 2 weeks now. I check it from across the room (it's on the scale of months, it's said), so as long as it hasn't blown the airlock, I'm trying to forget about it.

I was getting my stuff together to brew an Irish Red this weekend, and I took a look at how the apfelwein was doing, along with my Black & Brew. The black and brew looks pretty normal (some bubbles, hop bits, etc.). I go to the apfelwein, and I see the attached picture.

So the apfelwein looks "clear" (opaque, actually - just like it looked after a couple days), there are no threads, hairs, floating things. No film, scum, random cr... er stuff. Just the continuous bubbles of CO2, as the Montrachet continues to chomp away. But what is that film? It almost looks like it's growing, but i'm not sure. Thus, I must ask - "Is it infected"? While I could wait for the remaining 2-3 months, i'd much rather just toss it if it's infected, instead of having to wait another couple months, just to find out if its bad (then the delay's like 5 - 6 months until drink time).

If it's any help, I brew upstairs, and carry it downstairs - thus there may have been some sloshing that went up that far, but I don't think I sloshed it, carrying it down. Also, it wasn't there the first several days (checked in on it days 1, 2, 3, 4). Anyone have any ideas?

20120927_172420.jpg

Looks like dry yeast that stuck to the inside of the neck, then ran down. Looks fine to me.

Back