Did i infect my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaphappy

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents,
I am currently preparing for my first ever solo brew day. Last night I prepared a 2000ml yeast starter for the belgian golden strong I will be brewing using the belgian ardennes strain by wyeast. As this was my first ever starter for my first ever brew I was obsessive over sanitization...or so I thought. I woke up in the middle of the night to an oh **** lightbulb.
When prepping my starter I star saned my beaker, stir bar, scissors, foam plug, yeast package and my hands. I boiled the DME on my stove in a pot and transferred to the beaker with a ladel, the same ladle I used to stir the boiling DME, the same damn ladel I did NOT think to sanitize in my moment of sheer newbyism. I'm asking if it may be infected due to this oversite. As the spoon was in boiling DME multiple times I'm hoping this may have killed any of the bad bugs, but I also don't want to screw up my first brew. Any thoughts or guidance on this would be very appreciated.
-thanks, Brian

Its not ideal but I would just about guarantee your fine. Especially if your ladle contacted boiling liquid multiple times. I've made way worse sanitation mistakes than that without any repercussions.

If you ladled the hot starter wort it's probably A-OK. Heat pasteurizes.
You won't ever make that mistake again, but you'll replace them with others. ;)

Why ladle and not pour from pot into a funnel?

BTW, WY3522 is a wonderful Belgian yeast! Enjoy your brew!
Don't forget to overbuild your starter by 50-100 billion cells and save some out for your next batch.

Thanks everybody for the input, you've all put my mind at ease. I appreciate the advice.

Back