Did i infect my beer batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroyer747

Reaction score
I brewed my 1st batch of beer tonight. I got a recipe from a home brew shop and well I have a question? I was at the end of the cooling process and putting the valve on the top when the black seal to my valve pushed through the lid into the wort. I washed my hands twice and arm and well had to fish for it. Did I ruin my beer???

I think everyone that has been brewing for some time has made this mistake at some point. While there is a possibility that something could have gotten in Im sure its fine. I have dropped countless things into my fermenter after cooling my wort and have never had an infection from it.:mug:

Thanks for the quick answer! I'm just nervous about infecting it! One more beginner question?? If my hydrometer read 1.042 before fermentation how much could my alcohol % be.???

****, I fricking syphoned my first beer using my mouth. Don't worry bud, it will come out fine. If it doesn't it's probably more cause the recipe sucks.

mroyer747 said:
I brewed my 1st batch of beer tonight. I got a recipe from a home brew shop and well I have a question? I was at the end of the cooling process and putting the valve on the top when the black seal to my valve pushed through the lid into the wort. I washed my hands twice and arm and well had to fish for it. Did I ruin my beer???

You'll be fine. If the yeast get a quick hold and take off fast they can override a lot of Oupsies.

I spent 30 minutes fishing in my fermenter for a bung that fell in, got so caught up in it, i forgot to disinfect the things i was sticking in my wort. Still, the beer was awesome!

My first batch i didn't tighten the drain plug well enough. i washed my arms, stuck up to my elbow into the wort and gave it a tighten. Brew came out fine.

mroyer747 said:
Thanks for the quick answer! I'm just nervous about infecting it! One more beginner question?? If my hydrometer read 1.042 before fermentation how much could my alcohol % be.???

What kind of yeast? 4.2% assuming 75% attenuation.

One more beginner question?? If my hydrometer read 1.042 before fermentation how much could my alcohol % be.???

Depends on what the final gravity says. So for example if you end up at 1.011 you would have about 4% ABV. Plug the numbers in here: http://www.********.com/pages/abv.html

EDIT: What the hell? You can't link to Beer Math Dot Com?

Remember the first rule of homebrewing. "Relax, Don't worry, have a good commercially made micro brew until your homebrew is finished."

I've done much much worse to unfermented wort and made good beer. Rusty tools dropped into the kettle, clogged filters that i had to unplug by hand, dogs licking out of the fermenter, etc, etc. You'll be fine.

Back