Did I get a good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allowishus

Reaction score
After reading on here for a few weeks and deciding that this is something I really want to do I started looking for brewing supplies online and came across a local guy selling his equipment. For $195 I received the following:

true brew fermenting bucket
true brew bottling bucket
5g glass carboy
6.5g glass carboy
at least 2 cases of bottles(both pop top and ez cap)
20q stainless steel pot
copper immersion wort chiller
beer thief
hydrometer - upgraded
floating thermometer - upgraded
about 10 bungs of various sizes
4 airlocks
2 blow off hoses
auto siphon
bottling wand
tubing
carboy scrubber
bottle scrubber
big bottle of starsan
book - how to brew - palmer
funnel with snap in filter
3 extract kits
capper
over 200 bottle caps
stirring spoon
Cheesecloth
Whirlfloc (Irish Moss) tablets
Wyeast yeast nutrient
Campden tablets

So did I get a good deal? Or did I make my first mistake in my new brewing hobby?

I paid a lot more for about the same amount of gear, mine is new granted, but sounds like you got a pretty good score there.

It seemed like a good deal to me, just wanted to be sure. $195 is more than I am used to spending on a hobby.

Quick question:
How long does DME last in a airtight bag inside a house(70-75degrees)?

It seemed like a good deal to me, just wanted to be sure. $195 is more than I am used to spending on a hobby.

Quick question:

The only hobby I can think of cheaper than homebrewing is knitting, or butterfly collecting. DME would probably last 6 months in airtight bag at 70-75, and probably years in the freezer.

Allowishus said:

Quick question:

It will last a long time, but does get darker as it ages. If color is important to your purpose, use it sooner rather than later

My previous hobbies consisted of reading and cooking mostly.

Glad to hear that the DME should still be good!

The next things on my list will be a fermentation chamber, bigger pot, and a water filtration setup. Oh and a setup to make yeast starter and a mash tun when I decide to try all grain. But those will need to be spread out over a few months.

It;s only a good deal if you brew with it. But, like the rest of us you'll soon find yourself wanting more, brewing more. Next thing you know you've got a room dedicated to the hobby and 60 gallons of beer either fermenting, aging, bottled or kegged and im preety much the only one that drinks it. :drunk:

The first thing I asked him was why he gave it up. He said he had a lot of fun doing it but just lost interest. I told him if my first batch turns out ok I'll bring him some.

Back