Did I get a bum stc-1000 unit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaticus

Reaction score
or am I too stu-stu-stupid to make it work? I wired it up in the pretty obvious way from the diagram on the sticker. I read up/watched a YouTube video on programming it. Set my target F1 to 6 (as I assume it's Celsius), set the F2 to 1, left F3 at 3 and F4 at 0. The temp reading is now up to 12, the COOL light is solid and my keezer isn't running. I pulled out the MM and tested across the 3 different sets of clamp screws. 120 at the source, nothing across the COOL and nothing across the HEAT. I am at a loss and my brew is getting warm (after my last controller kicked the bucket and froze it all solid).:mad:

You should be testing for continuity across the "cool" circuit, not voltage since it's a switch, not a power supply. Did you wire it to an outlet or splice it into an extension cord? You need to set it up so the "hot" wire from a 120V circuit is switched by the STC.

th

I suggest you wire a "always hot" plug when you put your unit together. In case you need power for a fan, or something else, it's already there. It wasn't related, but I was glad I had power close by when I needed it.

And by the way, use three prong plugs, not cheapo extension cords.

Thanks again. As soon as I was corrected, it all made sense. I ran home for lunch and in about 15 minutes had it wired up correctly and thing were getting cold again. I did indeed wire a fan in right along with the keezer so they come on and off together.

I like that picture. One thing to note on the plug is that the tab on the hot/cold side is broken off, while the side with the neutral wire has the the tab intact. That way the hot/cold are 2 separate outlets.

Good point. I was just looking at that diagram thinking "wait a minute.... those are connected."

Back