Did I dilute my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
So before I describe my situation, here's the recipe of my latest IPA:

9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.2 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.4 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.3 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
0.10 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.8 %

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 48.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)

Total is approx. 66 IBU and an est. OG of 1.058.

Brew session went fine, stuck my wort chiller in at 15 min and brought the beer upstairs and hooked the chiller up to my faucet. I got everything squared away then left it running and did some chores around the house.

When I came back half an hour later to check the temperature, I saw that a slow leak at the top of my chiller had caused water to drip into my wort. All in all I'd estimate that around 1/2 gallon of water dripped in. When I looked at it, it seemed that the pure water was almost only on the top, which I found weird. I poured off a decent amount, and checked my gravity. Oddly enough, despite multiple checks, I had an OG of 1.060, which was even higher than the estimated gravity for my brew.

That said, will my beer TASTE watery when it's finished even if the OG is pretty much spot on? Hydro sample looked fine, didn't seem to be diluted or anything.

Thanks.

Even if you did get some in there it'll prob be ok. You should have reheated it though just to make sure. If you used some healthy yeast and your water isn't too bad you should be fine. Especially if the leak was at the end of the chiller (i.e. heated up some.)

Yeah I agree u should be fine my first few ag I didn't know how much was going to boil off and I ended up with like 4 gals so I.added a gal of filtered water to get my volume up and I'm drinking one is the beers now and its great

Back