Did I add too much dry yeast when bottling my Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
So, a couple months ago I brewed a 5gal batch of Czech Pilsner with Wyeast 2278. Three weeks in primary around 55F, then ramped up to 70F for a couple days for the diacetyl rest, then racked to secondary and lagered at 32F for 8 weeks. After that, I let it come up to room temperature for bottling. I have read mixed opinions on whether or not it's necessary to add additional yeast when bottling lagers that have been through a long lagering phase; the general consensus seems to be that it's unnecessary, but since this was my first lager I didn't take any chances.

So I mixed up my priming sugar (108g in 2 cups of water), let it cool, added it to my bottling bucket, and sprinkled a full 11.5g packet of Saflager W34/70 on it before racking the beer into the bucket. Once the beer had finished siphoning in to the bucket, the beer had a very strong yeast smell to it (that wasn't present in the gravity sample that I took before siphoning it to the bottling bucket), and was pretty cloudy due to all the yeast. At this point, I realized that I maybe only needed to add 1/4 to 1/2 of the dry package. Will all of this yeast settle out in the bottle, and will that yeast smell dissipate? The gravity sample I took was crystal clear, so I hope I didn't ruin that by adding so much dry yeast.

Thanks!

yes, you leave it long enough it will settle, just don't drink the last sip in the bottom of the bottal and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply. Due the excess yeast, I plan on giving all bottles an extra 2-4 week "re-lagering" period in the fridge (after 2-3 weeks of carbonation) to help clear the beer up again before drinking.

Thanks for the reply. Due the excess yeast, I plan on giving all bottles an extra 2-4 week "re-lagering" period in the fridge (after 2-3 weeks of carbonation) to help clear the beer up again before drinking.

Sounds like a good plan Juno. And you're right- 1/4 pkt. would have been enough, but I don't think you'll get any long term bad effects.

Back