Did first beer with the Robobrew yesterday - can't say I had a great time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, no grain went down the sides, wasn't filled anywhere near that high. No grain went down the center tube as it stayed well above the grainbed when mashing in and this time I used the top screen so no, no grain overflow.
Rev.

Interesting.. I seen people place some foil around the lip of the malt tube / Robo to ensure no grain falls down the side when adding the dry grain.. but it wouldn't seem likely that it would allow enough to clog the pump.. That is a mystery for sure..

I have seen other post, but it is usually allowing grain to flow in during recirculating. -https://www.reddit.com/r/Robobrew/comments/88vtot/troubleshooting_loose_grain_issue/

Its a bummer the Robo hasn't worked out for you .. It stinks to have a $400+ piece of equipment that you dont want to use.

Its a bummer the Robo hasn't worked out for you .. It stinks to have a $400+ piece of equipment that you dont want to use.

It sure is! It did work fine on a couple of brews, but when something goes wrong like knocking off the top pipe by accident or the pump clogging it sure can be stressful.

Rev.

Make sure you report how the SS mash tun is, I have one in a box waiting to be cleaned and I need some inspiration!

As for the Robobrew, it's definitely a love-hate relationship. I had to tighten the pins by hand (pliers) to keep them from moving on the lower tube, that seemed to help out a lot. I still have no idea what that center pipe even does. It has that metal cap with a funnel on one end and a set-in on the other and then the rubber nub sits in it (I think). What the heck is the point?! I still don't even know if I'm putting it on correctly, let alone the purpose. The manual is terrible, at best, for showing you what it is or does. So weird. Things I've learned though:

-If the pump clogs, you have to take the pump apart to clean it out, or it'll clog right back up super easy and keep clogging.
-The crush on your grain has to be course, or the recirculation doesn't work. Rice hulls work too (someone said that, good suggestion), but a course crush will improve your recirculation/lautering as well and ease the very slow dip that actually makes it through the grain bed.
-For the "U" recirculation pipe overflow turning problem on the cam lock 'U' piping: turn the pump off, open the pump pipe valve wide open and allow the tubing to drain (count to 5). The level of the liquid in the pump piping will become level with the liquid in the Robobrew, and you can "unlatch" the camlock and move whatever you have to move.
-Cleaning the screens is easy and quick using a garden hose or even just the sprayer on the kitchen faucet spraying in the opposite direction that the grain wanted to go. Remember, mashing doesn't have to be sterile. You're going to boil everything after anyways, so if a single speck of grain or hull is left on the screen, nobody will notice. Good luck, brew on.

Make sure you report how the SS mash tun is, I have one in a box waiting to be cleaned and I need some inspiration!

Only used it once so far, using it again tomorrow, so I haven't done a review yet. But I like it so far. The only gripe being the false bottom let's more finer particles through but I'm going to just strain going from the mash tun to kettle from now on with a double mesh strainer. Runoff flow is great, zero deadspace is great, and temp holding beats out my Rubbermaid cooler (but not by tremendous amounts). Overall I'm happy with it. They do need to come up with something to replace those doofy rubber feet though.

Rev.

Only used it once so far, using it again tomorrow, so I haven't done a review yet. But I like it so far. The only gripe being the false bottom let's more finer particles through but I'm going to just strain going from the mash tun to kettle from now on with a double mesh strainer. Runoff flow is great, zero deadspace is great, and temp holding beats out my Rubbermaid cooler (but not by tremendous amounts). Overall I'm happy with it. They do need to come up with something to replace those doofy rubber feet though.

Rev.

Sadly after about 10 brews on this system, i have been having similar thoughts on what is my next improved setup to move past Robobrew V3 and be able to do both 5 and 10 gallons in a single electric setup. Any new updates on the SS mash tun? did you go 10 or 20 gallon? I wish they had 15 gallon, i may need to consider a Chapman. Are you strictly doing infusions or have a setup that can add heat for step mash and mashouts? Send me a PM if you dont want to clog up this thread.

I am torn between an insulated SS mash tun/RIMS recirc setup but all in one eBIAB with mesh basket. I find myself putting the Robobrew malt pipe in a bucket or small pot to go dump anyway (so it does not leak in the house on the way outside) and need to clean a "second" vessel anyway, i don't see the advantage of an all in one from a cleaning perspective. I think having 2 simpler purpose built vessels give more capacity and flexibility over a comparably sized all in one.

For example, I came close to capacity and had to watch when i made a 1.070" beer this weekend and thought the grain bill was not that big, granted i like mashing at 1.8-2.0 qt/lb so if i dial that down a bit i should be fine. BS3 profile says it has 8 gallon mash capacity but i assume that is including the deadspace below malt pipe, i was surprised the malt pipe only had 5.25 gallon (calculated) capacity for grain up the the lift handle holes, probably less to the center drain pipe full extension. With that said, a true 10 gallon capacity dedicated mash tun can in theory get me 1.100 5 gallon beers and 1.060 10 gallon beers at about 1.3-1.4 qt/lb which is why a 15 gallon MT may be ideal so i am not mashing to the brim and can go a little thinner, where an all in one should be 20 gallon to account for deadspace etc.. similar to robobrew.

Last edited:
Any new updates on the SS mash tun? did you go 10 or 20 gallon? I wish hey had 15 gallon, i may need to consider a Chapman. Are you strictly doing infusions or have a setup that can add heat for step and mashout? Send me a PM if you dont want to clog up this thread.

Used it twice so far, for my Pilsner and my Amber. Working very nicely, liking it. Maybe I'll post an initial review today. I'll PM you as well though shortly.

Rev.

Back