Did a MO Fuggles SMaSH today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is quite honestly my best AG brew day ever. 67% efficiency may not be great for some, but with my huge efficiency issues lately, this is a major step forward for me. I am finally in the range of typical efficiency for a standard brew. Anyway, on to my question. I missed my mash temp by quite a bit. I was supposed to mash at 154 F but got 148 F. I know this will result in a more attentive beer, but I used WLP002 English Ale Yeast, which in the description says it leaves behind some residual sweetness. Will this offset the low mash temp and give me the body I was going for or will it still be a bit drier than I wanted? Thanks.

BTW, my OG is 1.044 with a 1.5 liter starter.

-AJ

can't answer your question, but i've been wanting to do a SMASH. what style were you shooting for?

I think that was a good yeast choice and mash temperature. First, mashing with Maris Otter only will attenuate higher because there is no crystal, roasted, or higher kilned malts that will add unfermentable sugars. Two row only beers will dry out easily because of this. Choosing a low attenuative English strain, combined with a lower mash temp should give you a nice balance, I'd think. Sounds like you'll have a real quaffer.

can't answer your question, but i've been wanting to do a SMASH. what style were you shooting for?

Sounds like an Ordinary bitter to me. But regarding the body question, I think you'll be fine. that yeast shouldn't eat through all of the fermentables and you should end up with a decent bitter.

I'll buck the trend. It's going to be thinner than you wanted, but still drinkable. I mash my MO SMaSHs at 154°F and they are a nice pale ale body. 1.046OG to 1.011FG on the last two MO/Willamette with S-04.

Should be pretty popular ale with the lite lager drinkers and all around good drinking beer. Get another one going and get a handle on that mash temp control. I'm doing my next at 158°F to get more body...

If your thermometer was accurate (they often aren't IME), like MMB said you'll end up a little on the dry side. Personally I like dry but everybody's tastes buds are different! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. It'll be ready to keg by the time I can brew again, so I'll be able to taste it. I might do this one again for my next brew if it tastes promising.

A lot of people brew SMaSH brews to get flavors or figure out processes.

I brew them because they make really interesting beer. There are Ordinary Bitters, commercially, that are 100% British Pale Ale malt and a hop variety or two.

And they make cheap, tasty beer that's always great to have on tap.

I did a MO/Fuggles SMaSH and liked it a lot! That being said, it did come out a little thinner than I prefer. I mashed at 155 and fermented with Notty.

The one thing I really liked was how clear it finished with the Notty. If I do it again, I will probably just add a pound of 10L to the mash to embiggen it and call it my "house brew".

Enjoy!

A good question....I'm not sure I have the definitive answer, but here are my thoughts.

If your mash temp was 148F, the yeast you're using isn't really going to help increase the body of the beer. Body comes from the dextrins that result from employing higher mash temps. But WLP002 is indeed likely to leave more residual sugar than would a more attenuative yeast, so there should be some residual sweetness (because the sugars left behind will be simpler sugars, due to the lower mash temp; dextrinous sugars are not really sweet).

It seems that people use the term "dry' in different ways. I use the term to denote lack of sweetness (as opposed to thin mouthfeel). I think the yeast has more to do with how dry your beer will be than the mouthfeel. I wouldn't anticipate your beer being overly dry, due to the chosen yeast.

In theory anyhow, the combo of factors you've listed should result in a product that is light/low in body, but has some residual sweetness. Just my opinion.

I think we can all agree that it will be beer, it will be drinkable and it will be drunk! And, nature willing, it will be very good!

Back