Diacetyl Rest After FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale and time got away from me and just checked the FG tonight and it’s at 1.010 and estimated was 1.011. I set my fermwrap up and set the temp to 68f, was at 55f for the past 3 weeks or so. Now that I think here, is it even worth it? I’m wondering if active fermentation has ceased, does warming it up now worth it? I tasted the sample and didn’t detect any butterscotch/popcorn flavor.

I’m wondering if it should just package it tomorrow in the keg and then let her sit at 34f for another 2-3 weeks.

Do a forced diacetyl test, it doesn't take long. There may be AAL, (diacetyl chemical precusor,) in your beer which may not have been converted do diacetyl and then reabsorbed by the yeast. You won't taste it but the inevetibale oxidization from racking will cause they hypothetical AAL to form diacteyl which you may notice after the beer is racked.

Is that where you take a sample and microwave it to about 170* and then put in a water bath of 170* water to “age” it for about 30 min and then cool it down and taste it?

Do not microwave the sample as it can volatilize diacetyl. Heat a sample of beer in a sealed container placed in a hot water bath until the sample is at 140-160F. Let it sit for 10+ minutes. Cool it back down to the temperature the beer is at. Smell/taste the sample for diacetyl. If it is there, it needs more time on the yeast. If there is no diacetyl, you're good to rack!

Back